New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

USB Audio device probs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

This is gonna be a bit complicated to explain so bear with me.

I have my stereo hooked up to my iBook thru a usb cable designed for use with an MD player. It works great but has a prob. When the computer is not being used and the screen goes to sleep the usb cuts out when i 'reawake' the computer. The comp does not go to sleep fully it's just the screen. I have to uplug and re plug the usb hub for it to come back to life.

The setup i have is: iBook to USB hub to: Wireless optical mosue, usb keyboard, usb audio thing and printer. I've isolated the problem to the mouse. Waking the screen up thru the built in keyboard, usb keyboad, or when the usb is plugged diectly into the iBooks USB does not cause the prob. So what is the mouse doing? It seems to override the Hub and stop the audio going thru it.

All the devices are still being picked up in the system profiler

Any ideas?

EDIT: Its a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical by the way
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

It seems to be a conflict between the hub and the mouse...

3 Options I see here:

a) Plug the usb audio device into the 2nd usb port and attach the rest to the hub.

b) Only wake up the screen using the keyboard

c) Turn of screen sleeping...(not recommended)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I agree, or you can connect it using different type of connection, I have one that is for the ipod, goes from headphone jack to rca jack on my stereo, I use it to hook up my mac too, its useful, its here
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yep I use a similar cable as macman for iPod & iBook.

You could argue that a USB line-out is clearer though, but I haven't noticed much difference when using my USB-line out device.

By the way, what make is it?
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

I think it's gonna be one of those probs i learn to live with.
I'd buy a monster cable jobby but htis usb cable(Sony by the way) is really long so i can have laptop on my bed and have music still thru stereo.
If i find a solution i'll post it but i doubt any one else will find it of value
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you know, now that I think about it, I think you may be able to use airport express with airtunes for this, in fact, Im almost sure you can, and airtunes and AP express are made to function fine with your mac in sleep mode, in case youre throwing a party or something, Ill do some more research and keep you posted.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Is it a self-powered hub or does it draw power from the computer? If it is not self-powered the mouse, in combination with the other USB loads, may be drawing too much power. Try putting the mouse on the open USB port on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« jumping mouse pointer! | can you make phone calls with ichat? »