New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Am I Running at WiFi "n"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This will sound like a really silly question, but I have just purchased and set up an Airport Express base station. It is WiFi "n" capable. I checked my MBP, and it is set up for WiFi a/b/g/n. So, all the hardware capability seems to be there.

My MBP picks up the WiFi from my Airport Express just fine and I am off surfing the web.

The question is, am I running in WiFi "n"? Is there a simple way to tell? I opened Network Utility and it declares that my link speed is 130 Mbps, which I know is faster than WiFi "g" 's maximum 54 Mbps. So, it would appear that I am running WiFi "n". However, is there any place I can look that directly tells me which 802.11 variant the machine is using? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

hold "Option" while clicking on your Wireless icon on the top bar. If your transmit rate is 130, then it's n.
QUOTE Thanks
harveydov

harveydov is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP i7 2.0 15" Hi-Res 8gb RAM, 500GB / 32GB iPhone 4. Apple TV 2G++++

I would say the fact it says 130Mbps is enough to tell you it must be using N. From my experience I have not seen another way to find it. Net Util is the place I would check.

Unless there is a 3rd Party app that will tell you.

Harv
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Not sure if there is something that will tell you "you are using 802.11n."

But, I know for sure that I am running on "n" and my link speed is 130Mbps in network monitor...

EDIT:
Wow.. all three of us posted at the same time...
when I option click airport in the menubar, my transmit rate is around 100

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
harveydov

harveydov is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP i7 2.0 15" Hi-Res 8gb RAM, 500GB / 32GB iPhone 4. Apple TV 2G++++

nputer: very true! as long as it is above 54mbps your on. It will be less the further away you get from your wireless router

Harv
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

Mine bounces between 117 and 130 what's up with that?

http://www.mmmii.com

Home: 15" 2.6GHz MPB; 160gig TV; 16gig White 3G iPhone; 80gig 5.5 iPod; Gen 2 shuffle. Work: 17" 2.5 GHz MPB
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
Mine bounces between 117 and 130 what's up with that?
probably due to interference (cordless phones, microwave...). Keep in mind the frequency wireless network runs at is susceptible to interference and it decreases performances. Try switching channel if it gets really bad, but 117-130Mbps is good!
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
This will sound like a really silly question, but I have just purchased and set up an Airport Express base station. It is WiFi "n" capable. I checked my MBP, and it is set up for WiFi a/b/g/n. So, all the hardware capability seems to be there.

My MBP picks up the WiFi from my Airport Express just fine and I am off surfing the web.

The question is, am I running in WiFi "n"? Is there a simple way to tell? I opened Network Utility and it declares that my link speed is 130 Mbps, which I know is faster than WiFi "g" 's maximum 54 Mbps. So, it would appear that I am running WiFi "n". However, is there any place I can look that directly tells me which 802.11 variant the machine is using? Thanks!
Got a question for you as I am considering purchasing a "N" wireless router. Did you notice a big speed increase in web surfing? I've heard quite a few folks say there is not a big difference, but was just wondering your experience thus far....

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Or in my case, I'm hovering between 78 and 117.. but there's a brick wall between me and the base station

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

Mine is between 48 and 54.

But thats g for you. Anyone want to donate an n to my "cause" then feel free.

But I have the same question. I am getting an backup HD soon. And I just dont know if I should get just the drive, and save money, or if there is a big enough difference, get the TC.

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Been on 'n' for a year now. Haven't found anyplace that shows 'n' specifically, just the link speed which you've found.

I am curious, since I'm considering purchasing the TC.
Does the Apple Airport Extreme/Express allow you to go into it's settings via it's IP address and manually configure the settings - or does it only have that wizard everybody talks about?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
Got a question for you as I am considering purchasing a "N" wireless router. Did you notice a big speed increase in web surfing? I've heard quite a few folks say there is not a big difference, but was just wondering your experience thus far....
Thanks everyone. With Apple's rep for a user friendly interface, I am surprised that it doesn't tell you directly. Oh well, no worries.

youthpastor, I didn't notice any big speed increase. 54 Mbps is pretty fast already, quite a bit faster than most people's internet link. Hence, it should not be noticeable.

I have "n" simply because I got an Airport Express, and it happens to provide "n". I wanted the portability of the Airport Express, not the "n"... I am delighted to have "n" - as an engineer, I always like better specs! - but what I really wanted was the ability to have a portable WiFi base station.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
You might not notice a big difference between g and n if you are surfing your average web page. You will notice it if you are doing multiple downloads or a big download. Think of it as the difference between a garden hose and a firefighters hose. If you were to have a litre of water pour out of each, you wouldn't notice much change but change that litre to 100 litres and you would notice that it would take longer to get it through the garden hose (g) than the firehose (n)

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

I like the look of the APE personally, looks better than anything out there.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Been on 'n' for a year now. Haven't found anyplace that shows 'n' specifically, just the link speed which you've found.

I am curious, since I'm considering purchasing the TC.
Does the Apple Airport Extreme/Express allow you to go into it's settings via it's IP address and manually configure the settings - or does it only have that wizard everybody talks about?
You can configure it manually. In fact, thats where you can view logs and current connections.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 runs as slow as my PC!! | azureus for mac »