New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Trouble with DVD drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Radamus

Radamus is on a distinguished road

Hello. This is my first post here. I hope you can help me out. I've had this problem for a long time.

I have had my DVD super drive replaced twice now. Every few months, my drive decides it doesn't like the TDK disks I get at costco and refuses to burn them (with toast or finder) and even to read the ones that I burned while it liked the TDK disks. The error I get is as follows:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

This is when I actually get an error. Sometimes it likes to just spit the disk out. I understand that my drive may not like the media (this is what I have read elsewhere), but that's no reason why it shouldn't also read those disks as well. Even when my computer didn't burn it, it still has problems with the disk. And again, this happens a few months after having the drive.

Also, I've been into the mac store a bunch of times (like the two times to have it replaced) and it has failed their disks as well.

Having it replaced once makes sense, but going on my third doesn't. Where else can the problem be?

Another note: I have once or twice gotten an interface error. I can't remember what it was, though.

What's wrong here? What other information can I give you that might help?

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope you guys can help me get this solved and out of the way soon.
QUOTE Thanks
SDMacFan

SDMacFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro (early 2008) 8-core 2.8GHz, 10 GB RAM, 2 x 1 TB HDs, OS X 10.5.3

My drive is doing the same. I bought this thing in March of this year. Burned fine for a while, now I can't burn anything. If anyone has any input on this, please let me know. Apple tech support sucks...I don't want to go that route again. (I had my Mac Pro in the store for 4 out of the first 5 weeks I owned it!!)

MacPro early 2008, 8 core 2.8 GHz, 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moshi Palmguard for MB? | 2 questions »