New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

crap accidentally deleted something!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terpfan

terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

I accidentally deleted my movie folder because I moved it to the desktop by dragging the movie folder from the sidebar onto the desktop. Then I deleted that on the desktop since I thought it was a duplicate. Then I went to click on movies and it said it could not be found!!! Is there anyway to restore what I deleted?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Have you emptied trash yet?
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

yes i hope this is possible! so upset now
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I've never done this myself, but I think you can recover the app from your install CDs, restart off the install CD and choose the movie app from the list, I am not specific cause the look off install CDs can vary
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I think he throw out the movie data folder, not the application. If that is the case, I believe you are out of luck. You will have to recreate whatever you had in that folder.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

yeah anybody know how to recreate the movie folder? Like in the sidebar how will it look like it was with the movie picture?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

well, create a new folder, name it movies, and change the icon, though the original icon is not available unless you have a friend email it to you or something, as far as the contents of the folder, youre outta luck, unless you had norton utilities 8 installed already when it was deleted. you can also do an archive and install of the os to get that folder back, though thatd be a last resort IMO.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

how do I find the icon. A friend does have it a pb. How do I change the icon? So should I get norton utilities 8? Will that make it that you can recover things accidentally deleted? I tried doing this thin called virtual lab paid 135.00 and it did not work! They won't give me a refund so I am dealing with my bank. Don't use virtual lab.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan
how do I find the icon. A friend does have it a pb. How do I change the icon? So should I get norton utilities 8? Will that make it that you can recover things accidentally deleted? I tried doing this thin called virtual lab paid 135.00 and it did not work! They won't give me a refund so I am dealing with my bank. Don't use virtual lab.
dont get norton utilities, unless you often accidentally delete important files, norton products recently hav gone to crap and cause more damage than good. and yes, that would allow file recovery.select the folder with the icon you want, go to file/get info, in the get info window, click the icon in the top right area, it should be the music folder icon, go to edit, hit copy, then do get info on the folder whose icon you wish to change, click the icon in top right area and then click edit, and paste, thats it. refer to screenshots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (41.2 KB, 15 views)
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

ok cool so its a jpg file or something. You think I could have my friend copy it and paste it to the desktop and then email me the jpg file? or could one of you maybe post it? Thanks a lot macman.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

no, someone would make a simple text doc or something, and change its icon to the music folder, then email that file to you. give me your email, and Ill do it. anyway, once you have that file, you change your music folders icon to that icon as I described earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Guys....if he drug it off the sidebar like he said, then all he did was erase the shortcut (icon) to the movies folder. The only way he could have killed his movie folder, is if he drug it from inside a finder window. The sidebar can't move files around...only aliases.

The easy way to tell, is to click on your "Home" folder and see if "Movies" is still in there.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan
I accidentally deleted my movie folder because I moved it to the desktop by dragging the movie folder from the sidebar onto the desktop. Then I deleted that on the desktop since I thought it was a duplicate. Then I went to click on movies and it said it could not be found!!! Is there anyway to restore what I deleted?
true, I thought when he said he deleted it on the desktop, he meant in the finder.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I also thought the same thing as Macman.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

yeah no i accidentally dragged the little icon on the top of the window. So that moved my folder from my home folder to the desktop. Thinking that what I moved on the desktop was an alias, I deleted it. Then I emptied traash and as it said erasing hundreds of files i realized crap. Oh well, its nothing that can't be replaced.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook battery life while playing DVDs | Finally Got My Ibook!!! »