New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

fairly new ibook owner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rxfx101

howdy! names rich. recently got an ibook from a friend. its a 12" g3 500mhz 192mb RAM 30gb HDD. already replaced keyboard and have an airport card coming. along with 512mb of RAM (total 576) and 100gb seagate hard drive. i want to upgrade my processor and did a search and determined that removed the proc is impossible due to the fact that it is intergrated with the motherboard. so.. i want to know what are the differences between the 12" ibooks and what motherboards i can swap in. looks like on the left side i have a modem, NIC, firewire, 2 usb's, and what looks to be a mini usb. on the right side there is cdrom and power. so what can i use? i was aiming for a 900mhz g3. any possible way a g4 would work? thanks!

-rich
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Umm..I really don't have an answer to any of the questions you asked, but, umm...Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new iBook, rather than to rip out the logic board and put another in?
QUOTE Thanks
rxfx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
Umm..I really don't have an answer to any of the questions you asked, but, umm...Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a new iBook, rather than to rip out the logic board and put another in?
no, not really.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Apple computers have really good resale value and the new 12in iBooks are very cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I agree with ApplejustWorks. The problem you might run into is that only the motherboard you currently have will fit in to that iBook. The newer or later revisions may not fit.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Where would you even be able to buy a logic board?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

you can try pbparts.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
you can try pbparts.
Ok, even a 700mhz logicboard for an iBook is $600. I am going to say it'll be cheaper just to buy a new iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

just buy a new 12" iBook, its well worth the money, my friend just got a 14" and he is thinking about exchanging it tonight for the 12", when he used mine he just said, "Why didn't i just buy the 12? and save myself $300+!"

So he's gonna do what I did (buy the 12 and then add RAM). I told him that he should think it over as the 14 has a large HDD and he likes to save a lot of music but he said nah. I said, don't say i didn't warn you! but he's adding 512 when i only added 256. I must say apples should come with 512 standard, the computers run so much more smoother!!!! at first i didn't think it mattered but having 512 makes a difference over the stock 256!

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
code777

my friend exchanged his 14" for a 12" last night and got a credit of $300 or so back - he spent the credit very wisely (sort of, I told him to just buy aftermarket RAM but...) he got another 256 for $100 and then bought an Apple Mouse for $50 and then bought a D-Link Bluetooth adapter for $40, and a leather case for $100 and then bought me food at the local Panera Bread. I think he just wanted an excuse to try out his Airport Extreame. He's lovin' it for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

"256 for $100" Could have bought 512 for that price
"D-Link Bluetooth adapter for $40" Could have gotten the internal bto option from apple at that price.

But as long as he's enjoying his 'book...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cdrom clicking when waking up | Mirroring to a monitor that is higher in res than 1024x768? »