New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My fantastic wireless...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

My Powerbook gets some amazing wireless reception. Right now I'm sitting roughly 30 feet away from my wireless access point, with a clear line of sight view to it...and I'm getting 2 bars of reception (out of 4). Sometimes when I'm standing right next to it, I'll get 3 out of 4. When I get any more than 150 feet or so away, it completely dies.

My buddy brought over his iBook to test if it was my laptop, or maybe interference in the house or something. His reception was GREAT...even on the other side of the house. And so...my Powerbook's wireless sucks. I expected better from a third generation 1.33 GHz AlBook.

Anyone have a similar story?

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
prozach1576

Yeah, my wireless reception is pretty weak. I've been experimenting with getting on my school's wireless network in my chemistry lecture. All semester, my friend and I have been moving around the hall to test different spots. His Dell laptop with integrated wireless gets enough signal to be completely functional everywhere in the lecture hall. So far, I haven't found a spot yet with strong enough signal for me to log on.
QUOTE Thanks
heyclement

are you guys serious?? I've just ordered a G4 powerbook. it hasn't come yet, but now i'm really worried over all these problems powerbooks are having.
QUOTE Thanks
prozach1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyclement
are you guys serious?? I've just ordered a G4 powerbook. it hasn't come yet, but now i'm really worried over all these problems powerbooks are having.
I think you'll be fine. I should clarify. I usually have no reception problems at all. This is a strange room. I'm just angry that a Dell piece of crap can pull twice the signal I can in there.
QUOTE Thanks
csuazo

csuazo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic

I live in a brownstone in Brooklyn. I have a 12 inch PB and I am pirating some wonderful person's wireless signal from somewhere in my building, or maybe a neighbor. Thank you to everyone who doesn't encrypt thier signals, your generosity will come back to you! My wireless works great at home, at school and at random hotspots.

Cristal
What do you know if you don't know yourself?
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Well don't get too worked up. The wireless works well enough that I can access most all public hotspots, the university network, etc. It's not bad, or broken by any means...it's just not great. The reason is that the Powerbook is made of metal, thus shielding the antenna from getting a good signal. So Apple put a grey plastic strip around the border of the screen, to help let in some of the signal, and thus the new AlBooks actually have better reception than the Titaniums. Still...it's not great.

I do have to say though that my Powerbook's reception is better than my Dell Inspiron, which used a PCMCIA external wireless card. So while it was an upgrade...it certainly could be better in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyclement

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

What OS was he running?

For some reason, I get better signal strengths in Jaguar than in Panther. In Jaguar, I get a solid 4 bars next to the station, and 3-4 in my living room. In Panther, I get 3-4 next to the base station and 1-3 in my living room.
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

I've had a few problems, but I've found that if you quit from any programs that use the internet before you turn your airport card on and then re-start them once you are connected to the wireless, then it should work. iChat is a perfect example... if I sleep my PB and unplug the ethernet and then bring it into a wireless area and wake it up, it will show that I have however many bars of wireless but it won't connect. But if I quit iChat and then start it again, it will log in just fine.
Otherwise, I get fine reception... in the middle of one of my lecture halls i get somewhere between 2/4 and 4/4 and if I'm in the student center or certain places of the library, i get 3/4 or 4/4 for sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme | I think I may have just decided on an iBook »