New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hello Peeps!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eekimus

Hi

I'm new here :cool:

I'm from Australia, I am aware of Absolute Zero and the way I should act :bone: I will try my best to abide by the rules...Anyways, I've been a zealous laptop user for most of my life. Originally with an IBM thinkpad, I upgraded to a Compaq P4 2.0Ghz (purchased 2 years ago). The rumoured issues with the powerbook being hot, bad battery life etc shouldn't bother me too much.

I don't have a mac yet, but it should arrive sometime in mid November. Its a 17" 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4, no upgrades. Anyways, I'm not sure if anybody has had this problem, but I am paranoid.

- Is there a possibility that the aluminium chassis of the powerbook would
start to corrode from all the sweat etc?

- If this corrosion/pitting/removal of nice silver colour was to occur, how do I prevent it from happening? Would silicon spray work? Cut out some overhead transparency and stick it on?

Thats it for now
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
- Is there a possibility that the aluminium chassis of the powerbook would
start to corrode from all the sweat etc?
Maybe... Check these threads

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-68280
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=59078
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=67313

I've never heard of the problem, but I've had my PowerBook since June (3-4 hours of use per day), and I haven't had the problem at all. I don't think it corrodes very easily, though, since it's not a very well-documented problem.

So don't worry. Even if there is a problem, just send it back into Apple (be sure to get AppleCare!) and they'll fix it.

Quote:
- If this corrosion/pitting/removal of nice silver colour was to occur, how do I prevent it from happening? Would silicon spray work? Cut out some overhead transparency and stick it on?
The aluminum shouldn't pit/chip. Apple had that problem with the 15" TiBook, so they completely changed the paint and the chassis so that it wouldn't be a problem again.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

You should see my TiBook.. whew been all over the world and it is pretty badly pitted/chipped, got black marks everywhere and anywhere. But I love it!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Aluminium doesn't corrode like for example steel does.
When steel starts corroding (aka rusting), the corrosion eats up the steel slowly, until there's nothing left.
Aluminium is very different, actually, it corrodes much faster than steel, but aluminium oxide (which is the aluminium's rust, if you want) is transparent, and doesn't eat it up. It forms like a shield around the aluminium core and actually works like a protection shield. It's the same for copper, except that copper oxide looks ugly green.

Sweat does no harm to aluminium, so don't worry. Salty water and acids do harm it, as you can see on old aluminium alloy wheels on cars.
QUOTE Thanks
eekimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
When steel starts corroding (aka rusting), the corrosion eats up the steel slowly, until there's nothing left.
Aluminium is very different, actually, it corrodes much faster than steel, but aluminium oxide (which is the aluminium's rust, if you want) is transparent, and doesn't eat it up. It forms like a shield around the aluminium core and actually works like a protection shield. It's the same for copper, except that copper oxide looks ugly green.

Sweat does no harm to aluminium, so don't worry. Salty water and acids do harm it, as you can see on old aluminium alloy wheels on cars.
Yeah, I knew aluminium formed al oxide when it corrodes, but i was just paranoid about the sweat getting to it. Thanks for ur replies :biohazard
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:

Thanks for that info! I have a science exam tomorrow, on chemistry (including rust )
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook, quality problems? | Upgrade Advice Required! »