New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Moto v710 as modem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

code777

Does anyone out there use their cell / v710 as a modem with their iBook when mobile? I bought a Belkin USB BT adapter and would like to link the iBook and v710 together and use the v710 as a dailup modem when I'm mobile.

My friend uses his v710 as a modem for his PPC and he said it should be easy but he's unsure how to configure the iBook to the v710 so that the v710 dails the #777 or whatever it is (not sure what it is).... help?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, can you 'discover' your phone using your bluetooth dongle?
In the utilities you should have a 'bluetooth setup assistant'

if you can get the 2 to pair, it should be simple.
I think you then just go to internet connect (in system prefs) and there select the bluetooth tab. Fill in your settings and see how you go!
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
Does anyone out there use their cell / v710 as a modem with their iBook when mobile? I bought a Belkin USB BT adapter and would like to link the iBook and v710 together and use the v710 as a dailup modem when I'm mobile.

My friend uses his v710 as a modem for his PPC and he said it should be easy but he's unsure how to configure the iBook to the v710 so that the v710 dails the #777 or whatever it is (not sure what it is).... help?
I have the v710 it links perfectly with my powerbook...

Ok... first you want to make a "bond between your compouter and your phone... Ststem prefrences/bluetooth.... Then you will open up Network prefrences.... Select the bluetooth option... Select the ppp tab...

Acount name- YOURCELLPHONENUMBER@vzw3g.com

Password- vzw

Telephone number- #777 (yes, include the "#" sign)

Now select the "bluetooth modem" tab...

Modem: 3com impact Analog 14.4

Make sure to uncheck the "wait for dial tone before dialing" option.

Now click the "apply now" butten and go back to the ppp options and select the dial now butten.. It will open up internet connect and from there just select the connect butten.

I love the v710!!! :biohazard :biohazard

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks
code777

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsteggprez
I have the v710 it links perfectly with my powerbook...

Ok... first you want to make a "bond between your compouter and your phone... Ststem prefrences/bluetooth.... Then you will open up Network prefrences.... Select the bluetooth option... Select the ppp tab...

Acount name- YOURCELLPHONENUMBER@vzw3g.com

Password- vzw

Telephone number- #777 (yes, include the "#" sign)

Now select the "bluetooth modem" tab...

Modem: 3com impact Analog 14.4

Make sure to uncheck the "wait for dial tone before dialing" option.

Now click the "apply now" butten and go back to the ppp options and select the dial now butten.. It will open up internet connect and from there just select the connect butten.

I love the v710!!! :biohazard :biohazard
ah, this is exactly what i was looking for, thanks.

now do you use the 1xRTT or just the basic hook up which is dailup speed. I know they have a data network but no way am i paying for it, its a rip off to me. but i see a lot of people are using the v710 with their PPC's and they seem to have really good luck with it. Ok, tomorrow I will try to hook it up.

If I frequently use airport do i need to toggle between airport and the bluetooth? sorry if i sould like an idiot - i'm kinda a newbe with the bluetooth stuff... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade Advice Required! | G3 or G4? »