New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

256 or 512 MB RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hi all,

The time has finally come to upgrade to the trusty 'ol 'book.
(1Ghz 12" iBook G4 btw...)

Now as money is tight, I need to decide between a 256MB or 512 MB stick.
I mean, the cheaper option is already going to DOUBLE my ram, do I need 768MB Ram?

I should mention that I do a bit of video editing, but am prepared to live with sluggishness in that department, otherwise I would have bought a powerbook

I just want a bit more oomph in my everyday computing experience (probably to compensate for no longer having the fastest 12" ibook since the speed bump )

So members of the jury, the decision lies with you!

Btw, I think I'm going to buy with crucial (germany) so it's either

€50,- (256 incl. shipping and tax)
or

€129,- (512 incl. shipping and tax)

Alternatively does anyone know any other reliable European RAM retailer?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would get the 512 chip.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

me too....

but is the money is tight.. save 'em... the RAM arent goin' nowhere..... :p

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Just get the 512mb chip now, here in the US the 512mb sticks sell for less than double the cost of a 256mb stick.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

[QUOTE=Aptmunich]Hi all,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I should mention that I do a bit of video editing, but am prepared to live with sluggishness in that department, otherwise I would have bought a powerbook
If video editing is part of your livelihood, then you should go with the 512 (actually 1gb… time is $). If you have a lot more time than $, go with the 256. Either way you should see an improvement in processing speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No, vid editing is more of a hobby... (well I'm editing music video's for my band, so it COULD theoretically become part of my livelihood if all goes well )

Maybe I'll ask for a bit of dosh for christmas to go towards the 512MB RAM...

I'll just regret the 256MB stick...I know me

I've been regretting not getting the 20GB 2nd gen iPod ever since my collection hit 9,2GB (currently 13,5 GB and growing)...

Oh well that's life I suppose!Thanks for the comments...
QUOTE Thanks
code777

being new to this... i wanted to purchase either 256 or 512 for my new iBook but i have no idea what brand/specs i should be looking at. Does Best Buy carry this? CompUSA? thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
being new to this... i wanted to purchase either 256 or 512 for my new iBook but i have no idea what brand/specs i should be looking at. Does Best Buy carry this? CompUSA? thanks guys!

Just go to Crucial.com and find the ram for your computer, even if you don't buy from them you can see the specs you'll need. From my experience, Best Buy has rather high prices for memory, I don't check CompUSA very oftern because it is far away. Newegg.com is a great site to get memory from, or any PC parts really.
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

Yep. Definitely go with the 512 chip. You won't regret getting it. You will be able to do way more stuff than you imagined, smoother than ever before!
QUOTE Thanks
bienenmann

Quote:
Alternatively does anyone know any other reliable European RAM retailer?
Highly reliable retailers with reasonable prices are alternate.de , e-bug.de , mindfactory.de

bienenmann
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ram latency...? | Disappointed after try ibook G4 myself »