New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook reformat problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alex_lian

Hi all from Down Under.

I'm new here so everyone g'day.

I purchased this second hand powerbook G4 12" from this korean student agency. The student after finishing studies went back and requiring urgent cash sold it to the manager. I in turn purchased it from the manager for Aussie Dollars 800. It was a real bargain no doubt.

Sadly, I can't play dvd, change network settings watsoever as I can only login from the guest mode. Everytime i try to switch, it keeps asking for the password. My other friend also has a powerbook G4 but a 15". I tried using his setup disk to reformat, but it kept on asking me the password. Since i'm only familiar with windows environment, I'd tried alot of googling but to no avail hence this question.

Can anyone help me reformat this PC? Would appreciate any assistance. If anyone here from down under who can help, I promise to shout lunch or dinner.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
sonicj

im not a expert by any means, but i've done a number of loads over the years. reloaded a pw protected powerbook 800 tonight.. i insterted the 10.3 disc while booted into 10.2, went into preferences, switched boot drives to boot to the cd rom, booted on the cd, used the disk utility to wipe the drive, installed on the freshly wiped drive. hope this werx! =)
QUOTE Thanks
alex_lian

Thx sonic. I will try it tonight and get back to the forum in relation to my query.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can use the install cd to reset the system pass word.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
alex_lian

Firstly, I can only login as guest so the first solution failed to work

Secondly, I can't reset the password as it keeps on asking for the admin password. When I purchased it from the manager, all he gave me was the charger and the powerbook itself.

Pls help anyone!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you have the install CD you don't need the pass word, because you can reset it using the install CD. If you don't have the install CD. It would be to your advance to get a set of OS X 10.3.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
alex_lian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If you have the install CD you don't need the pass word, because you can reset it using the install CD. If you don't have the install CD. It would be to your advance to get a set of OS X 10.3.
Thanks mate for the prompt reply. Yes i have the CD which my friend with the powerbook 15" but everytime I try restarting and pressing C, nothing happens. I guess I need to purchase the OX 10 3 or something from the look of its. What if I purchased it and it asks for the admin password again. Would the pplz at Apple provide support for a second hand powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
alex_lian

Any thing I'd like to ask members here is..

To reset password, I inserted my friends setup CD ( which I burnt ), press C and restarted and nothing happened. Just gave me the usual start up screen detailing Guest and Ivan. Guest I can login by clicking, whereas Ivan, asks for a password.]

My question is, the help manual says press C. Does it mean c or shift c. I tried both nothing happened. Is there anyother C key I need to press to reset the admin password coz i've already tried looking up and down but to no avail. Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
MickMAC

Most likly your problem is that you burned a copy of the disk. See if you can get the acutal disk and try it again, I bet it works then...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I agree the problem is most likely the burnt CD. Borrow your friend's copy and boot your system from the cd by holding down the c key until the system starts reading the cd.

QUOTE Thanks
alex_lian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I agree the problem is most likely the burnt CD. Borrow your friend's copy and boot your system from the cd by holding down the c key until the system starts reading the cd.
I have already done that and nothing happened. I kept hold of C thinking it would help me reset it but to no avail.

P.S. the help menu stated C.. Is it capital C or the small c?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

doesnt make a difference just hold down the regular c key on your keyboard

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB not waking from sleep? | SBC DSL for DELL and iBook?? »