New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

SBC DSL for DELL and iBook??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

code777

i'm curious, currently I have SBC Yahoo DSL for my Dell and that is windows based. Can i also load the same account onto the iBook and have it for Mac OS X? Meaning can i use the same DSL account for two different OS computers?

Also how would I go about going wireless. I don't really need the networking, just want to get a wireless DSL connection from my modem (to be able to walk around the apartment connected to the 'net)

thanks for any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
i'm curious, currently I have SBC Yahoo DSL for my Dell and that is windows based. Can i also load the same account onto the iBook and have it for Mac OS X? Meaning can i use the same DSL account for two different OS computers?

Also how would I go about going wireless. I don't really need the networking, just want to get a wireless DSL connection from my modem (to be able to walk around the apartment connected to the 'net)

thanks for any suggestions.
All you need is to get a router...wireless is the way to go, since you can leave your Dell hardwired into your account still, and use the wireless card in the ibook. Any 802.11g/b router would work...doesn not have to be apple's expensive airport base station. Should be able to get one for ~$60, and even cheaper depending on where you look. I have SBCyahoo DSL at home and have 3 computers (PC, mac, and SGI) and an Xbox connected through the one account using a netgear router. Setup is quite easy.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

wow, if i may ask, could you explain how to set this up? I think its pretty basic but another brain might help me do this quicker.

At Best Buy they have the Netgear 802.11b for $50. Transfer rates are 11mbps, is this sufficent? I also see a 802.11g for $80. Is the extra $30 worth it? Just trying to "share" a DSL connection, that's my main goal. No real need to transfer data, etc... Help?

thanks!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

the $50 is suffecient.

B runs at 11mbps for 150 ft range
G runs at 54 mbps but only 50ft...the other 100 ft go at 11mbps

Your DSL connection is probably only 1-2 mbps tops so the G could be overkill if you are just using it for the internet.

Very easy to set up
Take ethernet cable from DSL modem -> Connect to the WAN port on the router
Take another ethernet cable -> Connect from router to dell
Plug in

iBook will detect it automatically

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
code777

very cool, thanks, i knew it was simple but do i need to load any SBC software on the iBook or will the airport extreame pick up on the signal and i can just open up IE??
QUOTE Thanks
Kevinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
very cool, thanks, i knew it was simple but do i need to load any SBC software on the iBook or will the airport extreame pick up on the signal and i can just open up IE??
you don't need to load any software on the ibook
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

I have a question. Since it's SBC DSL, doesn't it require a login in order for the internet to work? If so, wouldn't you need to have an SBC Login screen to get connected with one computer, and then the connected gets shared on the router? Just curious...
QUOTE Thanks
civic8493

no you don't need it, if its wireless it detects it aoutomaticliy and you just open your browser and start using it.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

yup, i have it set up now and it works perfectly. but i need to learn about keeping my wireless network secure...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook reformat problem | iBook 1.33GHz with Virtual PC »