New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

No startup sound in my PB pls help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

agentphish

Ok so heres the deal... currently... after reading the suggestions in this thread about wep and having to reboot the router... its not only happening with Linksys (and never happens at my home where i have the identical linksys router as we have at my girlfriend's house where the problem is happing) but happening with the entire Airport network at my school as well.
My school is all mac based and all airport based and does run WEP, but more often than not when i go there i have problems getting online. I get a perfect connection to the airport APs around the school all the time no problem. Full signal strength, however I am unable to do anything internet/network related... i.e. www, ichat, get on the schools storage server. I certainly cant reboot the access points...

The same problem occurs at my girlfriends house where her router is not on WEP and is a linksys BEFW11S4 (same one I have here at home, both are Version 4) but never has occured at my house.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

I would be interested to hear responses to this because occasionally mine won't make the chime upon startup either. I have an Airport wireless card but haven't had any problems like you mention. Yet, every couple times I start up it doesn't make a sound.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If you turn off the computer or reset it while the sound is muted it does not do the startup sound so check to see if you computers are muted

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
agentphish

my airport problem was that i would have full signal from an AP (linksys @my GF's house and AirPorts @ my school in this case) yet i would not pull an IP from them I would get "The Airport is connected to the network "name" But has a self assigned IP address and will not connect to the internet".

In addition i could connect to my Linksys here at my home as long as there wasnt WEP enabled on the linksys, it would see the router with the WEP on, but would not accept any passwords... After about 15 times of trying to get on with WEP it finally worked.... It would work no problem here at home if I turned the WEP off. The tech seemed completely clueless...
QUOTE Thanks
agentphish

ok well its chiming now, but that still doesnt explain my quirky airport.
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

For third party routers w/ WEP enabled, you might have to reset the router itself. I've experienced this many a time. So it should work after you reset the router, and make sure you're inputing the password into the right field, because there are different bits and what not.

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
agentphish

edited original question because i hijacked my own thread, please read
QUOTE Thanks
EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

Your computer like staying home.

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
agentphish

lol yeah no SH*T... But it pisses me off... If it only happened on a non-apple airport network i could understand slightly. But it happens on any kind, apple or not other than my house, and i suspect sometime in the future it will happen here too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I think I may have just decided on an iBook | Give your iBook a vacation... »