New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - spilled water on MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

guttinga

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's unlikely that the water will have completely evaporated in just a day or two.

odds are you're on the hook for the damage.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
guttinga

QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Damage is damage... regardless of who's possession it was in.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
guttinga

how much will repairs normally run?
or should i just buy a new laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

How old is your current laptop... It strikes me odd you seem very calm about it, "or should I just buy a new laptop?" Repairs can vary from low, to high costs. I'd say water damage could cost a lot depending on how much hardware was damaged.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Posting fraud wasn't the best of ideas. Who's to say there aren't people who work for Apple that do these kind of check. Trust me, there are companies that do. Secondly, water doesn't evaporate in a day or two. It will take week(s) in an enclosed device like a laptop. Thirdly, I would suspect there is some sort of thing Apple has hidden to test for liquid damage. Most cell phones have that little dot that changes colors if it gets wet.

Don't you feel any soft of guilt? To me, it seems like a pretty horrible thing to do what you did. Apple shouldn't pay for your negligence.

Edit:
Water damage will easily cost $100 to repair like a keyboard up to $800 for a new logic board. Usually, the laptop is better to replace than fix.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Testing for foreign contamination (water, zinc whiskers, etc) really isn't all that complex. Especially with water since it tends to evaporate and leave it's dissolved minerals behind.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 17" Power adapter issues? | How do I polish my iBook? »