New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - AC Adapter GOES POP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

ok long story short:

bought new MBP
new AC adapter light goes off from time to time.
call apple, get replacement sent.

replacement gets plugged in, 10 min later POP noise. my UPS goes off, then on. AC adapter no longer works.

had to go back to the old one. What happend?

gonna have to call apple, AGAIN.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

sounds like a malfunction... Maybe a circuit or something blew? Notice any burnt marks or dis colorization on the power supply?
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

nada. smells fine, no burn marks either connection.

odd. maybe just a dud. Im more worried about my new MBP than that. it seems fine with the old charger. If it got friend, guess what apple, you owe me a new machine. No fixing that on a New computer!

civic still? just got an 07 EX back in NOV

QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

I have a similar problem.

Every so often, the light on my power connector on my MB just goes out, although it is still charging. unplugging it from the MB and plugging it back in solves the problem but it is worrying...

Dave

"Windows users swear at their computers, Mac users swear by their computers"
SUPPORT THE SAMARITANS AND BEFRIENDERS WORLDWIDE - providing emotional support for those with suicidal and despairing feelings.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

No matter what happens, it seems clear that it died. It is new, so you should be able to get it replaced. You should go ahead and do that asap.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kendal31

kendal31 is on a distinguished road

would a charger going out on an ibook g4 cause a short in the charging port?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsguydave View Post
I have a similar problem.

Every so often, the light on my power connector on my MB just goes out, although it is still charging. unplugging it from the MB and plugging it back in solves the problem but it is worrying...

Dave
The charger on my new mbp does that too. Interesting.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

a 15 minute phone call turned into a 45 min disaster on the phone today with apple.

i explained to tech1 that the adapter they sent me made a pop noise and died 10 minutes into using it. Ok, he wants me to drag my new MBP into an apple store already. I told him the original AC adapter is still working, the light just doesnt work always. he finally realizes the computer is probably working fine. He says ok, ill have to have you send the original (only working adapter) in the return box, AND WAIT for a new replacement for the fried one.

at this point i was a little miffed. Apple sends me a faulty device, and i have to wait to get another working adapter? its not like i can use the computer much without one!

he then goes to tell me that he "can" send another replacement out to me, for the fried one, but that they will have to put a 2nd HOLD on my credit card. I told him "no, send the part, at your inconvience, your starting to ruffle my feathers." he connects me with another procare tech, and he then offers to replace the adapter by mail, before the old one is sent in, or i can walk into an apple store, and get an exchange. I took #2, and itll just have to wait till monday.

rather frustrating when you think you spend 2000$ on a machine, get some faulty hardware, and spend WAY WAY too much time on the phone with people that simply dont know how to get a job done.

something that shouldve taken 15minutes tops, took around 45, with several "can i put you on hold"s

annoying. I never lost my cool, but i was def put off by apple by the time i had concluded the issue with them. sad, all i want is a 100% working adapter.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 4GB RAM not enough? | G4 17" Power adapter issues? »