New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maju

Hi, I just read about a virus that is aimed to get you bank details and what not, itīs called Opener or Renepo. I found some info worth looking into at:
http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=0...40&mode=thread.
Hereīs a way to check if you have it (from the above site):
"Dave Taylor suggests that the best way to tell if you've got opener installed is to type this into the terminal: sudo ls -l /Users/*/Public/.info
A good result is ls: /Users/*/Public/.info: No such file or directory ."
Anybody else have anything on this? Howīs it installed?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Don't give your administrator password to any process that you do not trust where it is coming from. Basic common sense. Try not to be logged in as root for long periods of time, or at all. It's not a big deal as long as you are not giving your admin password to any and every process.
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

Thanks, but what is being logged on as a root? Log out from internet when not using it? So this comes with some program you install your self, right?
Many questions, one more, are there viruses similar to the ones for PC, that you can get through attachments and visiting sites, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

certain programs require you to put in your admin password, you'll get a dialogue box asking you for your administrator password. And yes you would install this yourself.. you would try to install this program and then it would ask for your admin password and if you were dumb enough to give this program that you don't know what it is your admin password then it would do all those things outlined in the virus definition on that site you mentioned. As of now and probably a long time from now there are no viruses, spyware, etc that just installs itself and propigates by sending itself to people in your address book or catching it by surfing to a website.
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
certain programs require you to put in your admin password, you'll get a dialogue box asking you for your administrator password. And yes you would install this yourself.. you would try to install this program and then it would ask for your admin password and if you were dumb enough to give this program that you don't know what it is your admin password then it would do all those things outlined in the virus definition on that site you mentioned. As of now and probably a long time from now there are no viruses, spyware, etc that just installs itself and propigates by sending itself to people in your address book or catching it by surfing to a website.
Thanks! Thatīs all I needed to know.
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

hello
i had a quick read thru the above post and it has resulted in slight confusion.
I ran the command in terminal and it asked me for my password, i obviously didn't put it in but does this mean i'm infected?? I guess because it doesn't have my pw it can't run but it's still a worry
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig.gentry
hello
i had a quick read thru the above post and it has resulted in slight confusion.
I ran the command in terminal and it asked me for my password, i obviously didn't put it in but does this mean i'm infected?? I guess because it doesn't have my pw it can't run but it's still a worry
No, you are not infected. The sudo command is asking for the pass word. This is normal for that command.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hello | download UNIX on mac? »