New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

really bugging me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ripped85

OK...so i finally made up my mind to get the 15" superdrive powerbook and i realized it comes with SDRAM...that pisses me off...the 12 and 17 have ddr, which is standard today, and the 15 has SDRAM...
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

And the problem is? The 15 inch is a bit older of a design, yet Apple takes full advantage of the ram, unlike PCs which have slow busses and poor designs. My 15 inch runs just as well as a 12 or 17 even with PC133 ram. The machines are designed with the ram in mind, so performance isnt affected as great as it would be in a PC. If you want DDR you have to wait for the revision to the powerbook which is due to be released sometime, but if you need it for school you can't wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Ripped85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
And the problem is? The 15 inch is a bit older of a design, yet Apple takes full advantage of the ram, unlike PCs which have slow busses and poor designs. My 15 inch runs just as well as a 12 or 17 even with PC133 ram. The machines are designed with the ram in mind, so performance isnt affected as great as it would be in a PC. If you want DDR you have to wait for the revision to the powerbook which is due to be released sometime, but if you need it for school you can't wait.
oo..sounds good....another question...it comes with that airport card...and the guy told me it also works in some parks where i live (NYC), so i have to buy anything to make that card work?
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped85
oo..sounds good....another question...it comes with that airport card...and the guy told me it also works in some parks where i live (NYC), so i have to buy anything to make that card work?
Airport cards do not require anything else to work, you will need a base station if you want to use it at home for access to the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Ripped85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
Airport cards do not require anything else to work, you will need a base station if you want to use it at home for access to the internet.
ooo...so the base station will enable me to go on the internet without an isp?
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped85
ooo...so the base station will enable me to go on the internet without an isp?
no, the base station will allow you to connect wirelessly to an ISP connection. The access in the parks would have ISP connections to them. Any internet access has an ISP behind it, it may not be 100% obvious, but it does.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display difference between two Ti's ? | PowerBook Stepups »