New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12inch or 15inch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vii_haven

I'm thinking of getting a powerbook, but i can't decide on whether the 12 or 15 inch. 12 has maximum portability but i'm afraid the screen's not big enough esp for long usage times..what are your opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
ldj

I have 17", and i recomend u'd go with 15". The 15" model is still portable and thinner then the 12" and plus its widescreen which is always an advantage.
QUOTE Thanks
i love macs

i agree. 12 inch just isnt enough
QUOTE Thanks
maltesej

Quote:
Originally Posted by vii_haven
I'm thinking of getting a powerbook, but i can't decide on whether the 12 or 15 inch. 12 has maximum portability but i'm afraid the screen's not big enough esp for long usage times..what are your opinions?
Dude, get the 15" especially if you are a student. If not then the 12 is nice and cheaper. I got the 15" 1.33 and then did a memory upgrade to 768. I think its pretty fast, but i want to put in a larger and faster rpm drive, plus do a memory upgrade to 1 gb. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

I had the same worries but have never regretted the 12" screen size. I honestly don't notice it, and much prefer the cute size.
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

I was torn over the same question but it was 14" ibook or 12" powerbook with screen size being the real determining factor. Luckily I came across a great deal at the store around here and got the 15" powerbook for the same price as the 12". Most of my friends have 12" computers (I'm a student) and they're fine but I love the 15", nice and easy on the eyes and due to how thin it is, still very portable. Plus it's nice for things like Garageband having the larger screen (for me anyway)
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Depends on what you use it for. I use my 12'1 to surf the net from my couch. If I had to do any real work on it, I'd probably want to shoot myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

Yup! It all depends on what you do. If it's for basic stuff, get the 12. If it's more for media purposes, get the 15 inch. Good advantage.
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

I would definitely say the 12 in. is the way to go. It's so easy to carry around that it's not even an issue. The computer is actually smaller than a typical math text-book-- smaller in all dimensions. I get so many compliments on its size and how "I didn't know they made laptops that small... it's so portable." The girls all think it's the cutest computer they've ever seen, and I don't even notice the screen being small.
Save yourself some money and go with the 12" but get the 80gb faster HD and upgrade the ram to at least 512mb.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Go for the 12" for sure. I have one and I don't notice the screen size at all. And I'm a student, but I still do homework, and I don't mind at all. It really isn't as small as you're lead to believe. The contrast is unbelievable, you can see every word of text perfectly.

Even while watching DVDs, I don't mind the 12" screen. I just bring my laptop screen close to my face, the contrast doesn't suffer and it's just like having a 15" or 17".

Seriously, the 12" screen ISN'T AS SMALL as you're lead to believe. I strongly suggest looking at a 12" vs 15" at an Apple store, you'll see that the 12"'s screen isn't bad at all.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Go 12" unless you need the video card power of a 15".
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
Go for the 12" for sure. I have one and I don't notice the screen size at all. And I'm a student, but I still do homework, and I don't mind at all. It really isn't as small as you're lead to believe. The contrast is unbelievable, you can see every word of text perfectly.

Even while watching DVDs, I don't mind the 12" screen. I just bring my laptop screen close to my face, the contrast doesn't suffer and it's just like having a 15" or 17".

Seriously, the 12" screen ISN'T AS SMALL as you're lead to believe. I strongly suggest looking at a 12" vs 15" at an Apple store, you'll see that the 12"'s screen isn't bad at all.

Good luck!
Like I said, it really depends on what you use it for. I do web design on 2 - 19's for 12 hours a day. If I had to design on my 12 laptop, it would be like designing a site on a cell phone. Just not plausable. But if your using it for homework or tasks that don't need a lot of screen space you'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
hill.ed

yeah u really need to get the 12 a it is so easy to take with you anywhere like on a plane or train...
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Like I said, it really depends on what you use it for. I do web design on 2 - 19's for 12 hours a day. If I had to design on my 12 laptop, it would be like designing a site on a cell phone. Just not plausable. But if your using it for homework or tasks that don't need a lot of screen space you'll be fine.
Ah, I've never really used my PB for web design so I wouldn't know. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I don't have my Powerbook yet but I make a point of using the 12s in the Apple store to be sure I will be happy with it. I am, very much so
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook or iBook...again. | wireless networking... »