New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook or MacBook Pro: Newbie needs help ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fld777

fld777 is on a distinguished road

hi guys,

this is my first time i will be buying a mac book.
I have owned i macs before and the mac years year back. Currently using Dell and Asus notebooks.
I'm giving the Macs a chance again.
I'm having a hard time deciding between a macbook and macbook pro.

the macbook is a 2.4g, 2 gig ram, 160 HD
the macbook pro is 2.4g, 2 gig ram, 160 HD

I know the weight difference between the two is .4 lbs, the pro heavier.
the pro has 15 inch vs 13 screen.

Both of my current laptaps are 15".

1. my 1st concern is, if i go with the macbook 13", will it be harder to get used to since i started off with a 15" on my current laptaps ?
2. in terms of reliability, which of the two is more reliable ?
3. will the macbook pro with the same specs as the macbook be in any way faster when doing excel, word, photoshop and internet browsing ?
4. what other features does the pro have over the normal macbook ?

any other things i should know about ?

Thanks & regards

Ferd
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

i went from a 15.4" to the macbooks 13.3' there was a little bit of getting use to the screen size but with app spaces i find that it very easy to use the 13.3" screen.

i think both are very reliable. you shouldnt have to worry about either of them.

photoshop may be faster in the mbp due to the dedicated video card.

the pro has a dedicated video card, express card bay, firewire 800, backlit keyboard, multi touch track pad, and a LED backlit display.

(EDIT)

I am guessing if you are looking at the mbp with the 160gb hard drive you are referring to the previous gen mbp. the previous gen doesn't have the multi touch track pad, and uses a different intel chip
QUOTE Thanks
bd-in-pdx

bd-in-pdx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction

Personally I prefer all the screen real estate I can get when using Photoshop. For most apps I think the 13" monitor isn't a problem, but for Photoshop I think I would become a little frustrated with the lack of screen real estate.
QUOTE Thanks
fld777

fld777 is on a distinguished road

I am guessing if you are looking at the mbp with the 160gb hard drive you are referring to the previous gen mbp. the previous gen doesn't have the multi touch track pad, and uses a different intel chip

"yes, you are right. Its the older one.-- with this in mind, would the newer Mac book regular 2.4gig, 2 gig ram, 160 HD be a better choice than the macbook pro of the same specs but older?
QUOTE Thanks
OhioDude

OhioDude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4Ghz, BlackBook 2.0 Ghz, iBook G4, 8Gb iPhone, AppleTV, 80 Gb Video iPod 3 Nanos and 1 Shuffle

I switched to Mac laptops about 4 years ago. My first one was a G4 iBook, then I moved onto the black MacBook and two weeks ago I bought a MBP.

I use my mac mostly for web browsing, photo editing, media center, World of War Craft and web development.

IMO, for the money the MacBook is a good choice. I never had any problems with Photoshop, DreamWeaver or email/web browsing when using the MacBook. WoW is playable on the MB with an average frame rate between 20 - 30 fps.

Lately I've been doing more and more work with VMWare and running various virtual machines, Linux/Windows. And I found the extra real estate on the Pro to suit my needs just fine. WoW in the MBP averages 80 - 90 FPS. Which is a noticeable improvement.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

The MBP has a dedicated video card which is necessary for gaming. However, if you're not playing games, you'd never know that the MB doesn't have it's own card. For the applications you mentioned, the video card in the MBP is completely unnecessary. For email, web surfing, word processing, the regular MB is lightning fast.

So it comes down to screen size. And that's a personal decision. But here's a thought. Instead of the $1999 MBP, buy (2) MB at $999 each off the Apple for Education site. When one 13" screen gets cluttered with too many applications, you can just switch to your second MB and open whatever other applications you need on it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... But it kind of puts the price difference in perspective...
QUOTE Thanks
ZuTBoY

ZuTBoY is on a distinguished road

Can somebody tell me why the black MB costs much more then the white one?
The only difference is the size of the HDD right?

PS: by the white one I refer to the white one of 2 Gig RAM and 2,4 Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
dingster1

dingster1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz

Do a search for "black tax". I"m going through the same dilemma. I was all set on a white MB until I read about the repeated cracking of the case. So now I"m waiting till fall to get a MBP. Student discount
QUOTE Thanks
dr_doof

dr_doof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation

i reckon the black one costs more because its unique, and looks good. the black one does have the look, and they know that if you're rich enough to buy a macbook, you would go for the one that looks the best

Chat Potatoes
QUOTE Thanks
macwashere

macwashere is on a distinguished road

If money isn't an issue go for the PRO. you will miss the screen real estate. I went from a 17 MBP to 15 MBP retina and to be honest I couldn't adjust to the lesser real estate. I went with a a 27 iMac in the end. Spend the money and buy the best. Must add the retina display on the 15 is awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You responded to a thread which is over 5 and half years old. It's OK as long as you realize that......
QUOTE Thanks
macwashere

macwashere is on a distinguished road

LOL....we'll I've just freshened it up again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! 2010 MacBook Pro issue | ?: MBP Retina bright enough for Photoshop? »