WilliamC
    powerbook DVD playback problem
    Ok heres my problem no matter what dvd i try to play the are not played back in anamorphic widecsreen. For example toy story should not have black bars when being played in anamorphic widescreen because of its aspect ratio. They play fine on my widecsreen PC and HDTV but not on my powerbook. Whats going on?

In short the best way to describe the problem would be, for those with widescreen tv's, to say its like playing a non-anamorphic(16x9) movie on a widescreen.

Thanks,
    William

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    It has been a while since I played a DVD on my powerbook. Since all I have are widescreen movies. I will try one and get back to you.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Okay, here is what I have found on my powerbook. First I am running OS X 10.3.5, i am using Apple's DVD player 4.0. The movie I tried is The Rock - Scorpion King widescreen version.

On my 15in powerbook in full screen mode I get a black bar at the top and the bottom of the screen they are about 1in in thickness. If I remember correctly this is normal.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

WilliamC
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Okay, here is what I have found on my powerbook. First I am running OS X 10.3.5, i am using Apple's DVD player 4.0. The movie I tried is The Rock - Scorpion King widescreen version.

On my 15in powerbook in full screen mode I get a black bar at the top and the bottom of the screen they are about 1in in thickness. If I remember correctly this is normal.
    yes 1 inch is normal... I however get 2 inches. Using the same title. This is not a bootleg either none of my movies are these are retail dvds and all have the same problem.

Specs:
    Cool
    What version of the OS are you running? Also what version of the DVD player are you running?

WilliamC
    What version of the OS are you running? Also what version of the DVD player are you running?
    10.3.5 and apple DVD 4.0 same as yours.

Also should the power button be lit up.. because mine does not light up and i don't know if thats normal or not since i just got this powerbook 2 days ago

m1k
    Can't help with your DVD problem because I have a 12"er...

But the Power button doesn't light up on your PB, sorry. I know it looks like it should, but it actually doesn't

It would be nice if the PB G5's Power button lit up though...

Specs:
    Cool
    Interesting, which powerbook do you have?

WilliamC
    Interesting, which powerbook do you have?

I have the 15inch with the 1.33 G4 and 64MB ram. I am currently doing a new install of OS X to see if that fixes the problem. Will let you guys know when its done.

WilliamC
    Well I just finished doing a fresh install and still have the same problem. I have no idea whats going on with this thing theres no reason why this should happen.

WilliamC
    well it displays the movies fine UNTIL i go into full screen. So i am guessing that Apple DVD thinks the powerbooks display is a 4:3 instad of a widescreen 16:10 don't know how thats possible

Specs:
    Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
    Okay, I worked in the Wal-Mart electronics department during highschool and we once had this problem playing a widescreen DVD on a 16x9 widescreen TV. The solution ended up being that we had to go into the settings (I can't remember if it was in the DVD movie menu itself, or if it was the DVD player menu) and set it up to play on a widescreen monitor. I don't know if it is anything similar, but try going into all the settings on the disk as well as the prefs of the Apple DVD player and see if there is anything about widescreen.

heyclement
    ya, i think this is more of a software problem. Try to go through the setting in the Apple DVD Player or try downloading some other DVD Player softwares from the internet and try to see if they've the same problem.

Thread Information