New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Flickering Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LTfan

LTfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory

i have had my macbook for about a year now, and in the last few weeks, the back light starts to flicker, going from a darker to lighter view. It happens randomly and isnt to annoying, but just wondering if anyone else has/has had this prblem and ne self fixes would be nice as well.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Take it to Apple before the warrantee expires. My wife's Macbook developed a flicker, and it was random as you have described. I took it to the Apple Store and after describing the symptom they agreed that it was probably a bad backlight inducer. While I couldn't reproduce the problem in front of them they agreed to fix it under warrantee since they had some other special mojo that allowed them to confirm that the inducer was bad.

It's only going to get worse. My wife's Macbook seems to have developed another flicker problem, but we extended Apple Care on it so I have plenty of time to address it if it gets worse.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, my gf's had the same issue: They ended up replacing the logic board, display board and the cable to the display...
QUOTE Thanks
LTfan

LTfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory

well, seems worse than i thought. thanks for the advice. i shall have to look further into it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryterry

harryterry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 Core Duo, 60 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, 19" Samsung Widescreen External Monitor

Definitely take it into the apple store or get an extended warranty. I bought my computer in 2006 and it had the screen flicker 6 months after I bought it. Of course being a college student i didn't take it in because I'm lazy but it gets progressively worse. Get it fixed while you still can.
QUOTE Thanks
caloge

caloge can only hope to improve

yup i had it as well, for me it was the inverter they replaced, I say the sooner the better, especially if you dont have the extended warranty, my screen flicker just started again (got teh old inverter replaced about 9 months ago) so I will have to bring it in again, thank god for apple care. im surprised these newer ones are still have this trouble, oh well.

oh ya and it does get progressively worse and more frequent so if its not annoying now, it will be in a month or 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Air - iLife 08? | A few minor issues »