New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - iBook G4 12" freezes after major accident

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unitedroad

unitedroad is on a distinguished road

I am having some problem with my ibook G4. It fell sometime back and its screen got smashed. So I took the help of some links online for replacing the screen with a new one. The replacement worked fine but then I noticed that the book started freezing up few minutes after everytime I started it. It would then start hanging up at the appearance of the inital blue screen if I tried to boot it immediately. But it would run fine again for a few minutes if I started it say , the next day . I am not sure that if it was working fine the first time after it broke because I tried to seriously use it again after replacing the screen. I had tried replacing the silver coloured insulation tape as well as I could when I replaced the screen but could it be at fault if I didn't put it back right? One thing I have noticed that when I start the book , it makes a sound as if something is trying to move but seems to be stuck twice , one after another so could this be a heating issue?

I noticed initially that the super drive wasn't spitting the disk out so thinking that it could be at fault here ,I took it out but since the problem didn't go, I have now put it back in for running the AHT disk. But I am currently having a problem with inserting the AHT cd as I think I didn't align the drive properly. So just in case I can't put it back in right, is there a way I can run the AHT using a USB drive?

I noticed there is this magnet for putting the book to sleep, this is another thing I need to know. If its alignment or position is not right then could it one of the culprits even though my ibook freezes *while* the lid is open?
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

Overheating? Fan working?
QUOTE Thanks
unitedroad

Hi SJTV1,
I had reopened the ibook yesterday to see what the problem was with DVD drive's alignment. I then saw that the fan was working fine and the jamming sound that came when I started my ibook was because the levers in the drive were damaged.
QUOTE Thanks
unitedroad

Is there a way I can run AHT with an external drive ? If not then probably I could try a super drive repair tutorial if someone knows of one.
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

Maybe heatsink got torn off the CPU or GPU? What do the temp sensors say?
QUOTE Thanks
unitedroad

Does ibook have a built in temperature sensor? Can you recommend me one to use?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First Impressions | Syncing »