New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How long does your MBP battery charge last?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

munki

munki is on a distinguished road

I got my MBP about 4 months ago and was amazed that it could last 4 hours when fully charged (Energy Savings Mode but Bluetooth and Airport on). But two and a half months later the the most I could get out of it was a little under two hours. coconutBattery says battery is still at 94% total cap. so I'm confused. Is the computer just draining the power faster now? Is two hours of charge actually totally normal for a MBP?

Thanks

On another note: fans always kick in now when battery is charging
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by munki View Post
I got my MBP about 4 months ago and was amazed that it could last 4 hours when fully charged (Energy Savings Mode but Bluetooth and Airport on). But two and a half months later the the most I could get out of it was a little under two hours. coconutBattery says battery is still at 94% total cap. so I'm confused. Is the computer just draining the power faster now? Is two hours of charge actually totally normal for a MBP?

Thanks

On another note: fans always kick in now when battery is charging
Batteries are consumable, meaning that over time (depending on how they were cared for), they will lose capacity and eventually need to be replaced. My old MBP's battery lasted about 3:30 when new. After about a year, it went down to 2:00-2:30 (sometimes longer).

My brand new MBP lasts about 5:30 by my estimates. I would imagine that to be degraded significantly in about a year or so.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
munki

munki is on a distinguished road

I heard some other threads suggesting getting the battery replaced under applecare warranty. How bad does the battery have to get for this to be an option? I'm guessing my case doesn't apply here but, 94% after only 7 load cycles just seems kinda odd.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

94% after such a short while is odd. Does apple warranty cover battery life? I've got a three year APP on the iBook and I find the battery life significantly lower than it was (around 4 hours now). Any chance of getting back to the old days?

Also the display has gone really really dim. I can hardly see anything.
QUOTE Thanks
imme

imme is on a distinguished road

Im getting a macbook pro in about a week or two and one thing that I am worried about is the battery life which I hear is shorter than the normal macbook that I currently have.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imme View Post
Im getting a macbook pro in about a week or two and one thing that I am worried about is the battery life which I hear is shorter than the normal macbook that I currently have.
Yes, more powerful hardware use more energy. More energy use = less battery life. The current iteration of the MBP uses the new 45nm Penryn processors which are more power efficient than older models, but you still have a larger screen to power and keyboard backlighting and a true video card, so yes, the video life is potentially shorter. I get about 5 hours (presently). I'm sure the Penryn Macbooks will do better than that even.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
94% after such a short while is odd. Does apple warranty cover battery life? I've got a three year APP on the iBook and I find the battery life significantly lower than it was (around 4 hours now). Any chance of getting back to the old days?

Also the display has gone really really dim. I can hardly see anything.

while lower than you like, thats normal. the batteries arent manufactured when you press submit order.

batteries sit for a period of time in the box before you order, could be months.

94% is fine.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yes, more powerful hardware use more energy. More energy use = less battery life. The current iteration of the MBP uses the new 45nm Penryn processors which are more power efficient than older models, but you still have a larger screen to power and keyboard backlighting and a true video card, so yes, the video life is potentially shorter. I get about 5 hours (presently). I'm sure the Penryn Macbooks will do better than that even.

the MBP are rated by apple for 1/2 hour MORE than the MBs.

im guessing they have a slightly bigger battery thought than the MBs.

im sure battery life has the potential to be sucked up much faster by the MBP with its ded card too.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« swap MacBook Air keyboard -> MacBook????? | iBook death? »