New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Full Restore on my PB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ldj

Hi,
I was wondering how the restore cd's work on a Mac, cos ive never used them. Do they format the HD and reinstall a completely new version of OS X just like from the box? And is it bad for the computer to restore it? Some people say its bad to format your HD and some ppl say otherwise. Can someone help me out on this? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The restore CD has two different options

Archive and Install
Erase and Install

Archive and install creates an archive of your current OSX so that you don't lose everything when you install the fresh copy

Erase and Install formats your hard drive and installs OS X back to the way it is when you first bought your computer. This is the choice I recommend. There is nothing wrong at all with formatting your hard drive, since you are starting fresh you will be getting the best performance out of the computer with the clean disk

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ldj

Ok thanks, i guess il erase and format some time soon :teen:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pb specs | PB: data loss with external Firewire harddrive »