Specs:
    MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
    Intel Based MBP DVD drive problem,, wont run dvds,
    HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA:

Firmware Revision: AE39
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

This is my DVD drive info, for some reason, I cannot run DVDs burnt from other MACs, i dont know what is the problem. but whenever i pop in a DVD i get the blank dvd box, asking me whether i would like to burn using a certain program or just open it in finder. but when i pop the same dvd in my windows PC it works just fine! all the dvds i burn from the MBP work fine everywhere, I just cannot open ones burnt on other macs,, i've tried old DVD's i've burnt on this laptop, they work fine, so its just other DVDs, I dont think this is a region problem! i dont know what is the problem can someone tell me how to fix it? do i need to reflash the dvd firmware or something? please help

Regards

A.

Specs:
    anyone?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Sounds as though it's having difficulty reading a multi-session disc. It could very well just be a defective drive mechanism. Is the machine under warranty?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    no its not, the period just finished. i dont know whats wrong with it, it was working fine for the longest time, i dont know what happened recently. i can burn just fine, i cannot read new dvds burnt from other macs for some reason. what can i do to fix this? do u know if i can flash the firmware on the drive? i would try anything, its really annoying.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by comthre3 View Post
    no its not, the period just finished. i dont know whats wrong with it, it was working fine for the longest time, i dont know what happened recently. i can burn just fine, i cannot read new dvds burnt from other macs for some reason. what can i do to fix this? do u know if i can flash the firmware on the drive? i would try anything, its really annoying.
    I don't know of any flash updates for these drives. I would imagine that any needed flash updates would have been provided via Apple Software Updates.

I may be mistaken on this, but my understanding is that DVD burners have multiple "heads" - I would imagine that one of the heads could malfunction, so that it will burn, but not properly read certain types of media.

Do you happen to have access to external DVD drive (either via your own collection, or through a friend) ? If so, I would try reading one of the suspect discs using the external drive. If it works, then you know your computer itself isn't to blame, it's got to be a defective optical drive.

If that's the case, you're looking at having to replace the drive mechanism itself.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    i guess it is my drive! cuz i just tried it with my external dvd drive and it worked just fine! thats too bad that i need to replace the one on my conputer! i think ill wait for the blueray drives to come out then replace it.. the crazy thing is that it just decided to stop working one day!

thanks anyways,

P.S. do you know of a place where i could get an "elcheapo" internal drive for now?

Specs:
    MBP l iPhone l iPod
    heres a couple. i dont know how cheap you want to get but heres where they start new. this site is great with directions too. it would be hard to screw it up.

Thread Information