New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Antenna for Powerbook Airport Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smackenz

Hi I have a 12" powerbook from the apple website. I've been searching around for an antenna for my internal export extreme card (the one next to the battery).

Has anyone fitted an external antenna to the airport extreme card? The built in antenna isnt quite strong enough. There's an antenna plug on the card and it would involve some dodgy wiring through the battery, but any ideas are welcomed.

I've searched online, but the antennas only seem to be for the airport extreme base station.

Regards,
Scott.
QUOTE Thanks
laazrakit

I just got a 12" Powerbook.... and am considering the option of adding an external antenna to the Airport Extreme Card. Any info on such a modification would be most appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackenz
Has anyone fitted an external antenna to the airport extreme card? The built in antenna isnt quite strong enough. There's an antenna plug on the card and it would involve some dodgy wiring through the battery, but any ideas are welcomed.
I'm not certain about adding an external antenna (not sure how you'd even go about that, and they'll definitely be some modification/fabrication involved), but you do know that the antenna plug on the card is intended to plug into the laptop's built-in antenna, right? It's a dumb question, I know, but the way you worded your post it sounds as if you might not have plugged the laptop's antenna into the card.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

If your built-in PowerBook antenna isn't working even from a few meters from the wirless router, it may be because both 'nibs' on the AirPort Extreme card aren't hooked up to both the 'nibs' on your PowerBook. Therefore you only get about 1/2-1/3 of the normal signal strength. Take it in to your local Apple store, they'll reconnect the 'nibs' properly.

This is just a suggestion, I know my mom's iBook had the same problem, at a few meters away the iBook wouldn't pick up the wireless signal.

I don't know about any external antennas, sorry...

Good luck though!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

instead of fishing it threw the battery, send it out threw the uncommly used PCMCIA slot...all you have to do is get any antenna that will match the connection on the card and boom your good to go

look at take apart guides for this...or what you can do is build an antenna for you airport giving it the stronger signal that way you dont haev to void the warrent on the laptop...

http://flakey.info/airport/ <--- this will get you started
QUOTE Thanks
Brigrat

Idon't think there is a PCMCIA slot on the 12" Powerbook, am I wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
smackenz

Yeah no PCMCIA card on the 12". I do have the internal antenna installed and the card works great, its just that I want mooooore range for public places etc..

Thanks for the replys

Regards,
Scott
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping my PB in good heath.... | pb specs »