New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook, quality problems?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maju

I bought my powerbook 15" last Febuary. It worked fine until I upgraded to 10.3, then it started getting very hot. So I started spending a lot of time searching forums on how to fix this.
Btw, running verify and repair permissions seemed to help for a while, not itīs hot again....And I donīt have the faulty batteries, either...
Any suggestions on how to FINALLY solve this??? (tried Macjanitor, doesnīt work)
All this about getting coolpads, using magazines or other gadgets pp have suggested is complete stupidity! Itīs a LAPTOP, right. Never experiensed this with any pc laptop, all though thatīs the only possitive thing about those awful machines.
Now, the next thing was the squeaky hinges. Again, loads of time trying to solve that! Donīt want them to brake, right!!!
I bought some oil, like sewing machine oil, no squeaking anymore.
Yesterday i discovered a new squeaky sound, now itīs the spacebar!
Man, what next!!!!
So, anybody else have this problem and a solution?
I donīt dare to take the spacebar out and put oil on there. Any ideas?
What pity for such a otherwise great computer!
Cheers,
Maju
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Looking at your heat issue. It is not a quality problem. All, laptops and I mean all laptops get hot. Some get hotter than others. I have three laptops, an iBook, a PowerBook and a thinkpad. Only two of them get quite hot (PowerBook and the ThinkPad). The iBook is usually just very warm.

I have read that when you install OS X 10.3 there maybe a heat issue. If you are not at 10.3.5. Try bring your system up to that level. It should resolve your problem. Also, it depends on what you are doing if your system gets hot. I do a lot of DVD encoding, so I expect my system to be running hot from time to time.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

Thanks for your reply rman. Iīm on 10.3.5, so thatīs not the problem.
Update regularly and all that. Also discharge the battery completly, bla bla
(etc), but it still gets hot. Espesially when charging. It did get better when I ran verify and repaire permissions though.
Any ideas about the squeaky spacebar? A wee bit of the sewing machine oil? Can it damage the computer?
Btw, hinges still arenīs squeaking.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Try putting your processing power to reduced if you're not doing much. My PowerBook gets warm when I'm just typing a report for an hour, but when I play games, maaaan, it gets hotter than a stripper in Chernobyl. I'd say don't worry about it. Laptops are supposed to get hot.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I don't know....my hinges are perfect...and the heat...well, it's never bothered me...my powerbooks never gotten too hot...it's gotten warm sure, but not bad....and during the winter....like I've said before, it's wonderful.
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
Try putting your processing power to reduced if you're not doing much. My PowerBook gets warm when I'm just typing a report for an hour, but when I play games, maaaan, it gets hotter than a stripper in Chernobyl. I'd say don't worry about it. Laptops are supposed to get hot.

Good luck!
Thanks. Yeah, Iīve tried that too, but then I read somewhere in my search for solution that "automatic" was the best, and now itīs warm, not hot. It only gets hot when charging and if I play games etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

I maybe should have mentioned that I live in south-east China (am Swedish, though) and maybe this tropical weather is a reason why hinges and keyboard gets squeaky. Also, if parts or such are being produced here....thereīs a reason for worry. I know, I work with quality control.

To Tylermoney: If you check other sites or forums about the heat and hinges issue, youīll find that thereīs a lot of pp with the same problems.
So, youīre lucky! No reason to be rude
QUOTE Thanks
Patrick A

I just got a new PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz 15", and I have the same problem with the squeaky spacebar. It drives me insane - it's like fingers on a chalkboard.

Did you find any solution Maju?

Does anyone else have this problem with the recent PowerBooks?

Patrick
QUOTE Thanks
Maju

Nope, no solution for squeaky spacebar. I fixed the squeaky hinges with sewing machine oil and that worked great. Donīt dare to put that on the space bar though, also donīt dare to take it (the spacebar) out, the little plastic thingies look pretty flimsy.
So, anybody have a solution for this???
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

My Powerbook had the hinge squeek as well. I ordered the AlGlide kit from RadTech and it's perfect again. As for the heat, it's a side effect of having a metal case. All laptops get very hot (much hotter than your Powerbook, actually) but you never feel it because the plastic casing doesn't transmit the heat very well.

There's really nothing you can do about it. I put mine on "Reduced" power while on battery, and it seems to be bearable. I've also learned to type with my wrists in the air, instead of resting on the laptop (got tired of being burned).

I know these are all silly excuses for what's supposed to be a quality laptop...but I'd rather do these things, than go back to a PC.

Just my two cents.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
My Powerbook had the hinge squeek as well. I ordered the AlGlide kit from RadTech and it's perfect again.
Same problem, same solution.

Quote:
As for the heat, it's a side effect of having a metal case. All laptops get very hot (much hotter than your Powerbook, actually) but you never feel it because the plastic casing doesn't transmit the heat very well.
I'd much rather have a sexy, hot laptop than have an ugly warm laptop. When I'm using the PowerBook for word processing and internet, it almost never gets hot because I set the processer to 'automatic'. But when I'm playing games, the fan sounds like an elephant making out and the PowerBook gets hotter than a stripper in Chernobyl.
QUOTE Thanks
csuazo

csuazo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic

I too have the squeaky spacebar...only every once in a while though. It does grate the nerves. Any recommendations on how to un-squeak it?

Cristal
What do you know if you don't know yourself?
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

Like the others have said... that's kind of the point of having an aluminum case. Aluminum transmits heat very, very well making the case warmer or even hotter than normal. That just means it's getting the heat away from your internal components, which is good. Unless it's unbearably hot, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep the processor on "automatic" if it bothers you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook has beef with airport card | Hello Peeps! »