New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air - MacBook Air Mag-safe design flaw / pointless.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vexious

Vexious is on a distinguished road

Go on, try yanking your magsafe on your macbook air.... It doesn't easily detach. In fact, if you are you rank it straight on parallel with your macbook air, it wont come out no matter how hard you pull as it pushes against the edge of the hatch and the desk...

Design flaw?
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

Mine works perfect
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

So you're saying that if you have your magsafe plugged in and you yanked on the cord, it would pull your MBA off the desk before detaching? I guess that's could be an unavoidable drawback of it being so light. You can't have the magsafe so weak that it barely stays plugged in.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

It doesn't come out easily when you pull it straight, it's designed to come out when pulled from the side, top or bottom.

When's the last time you tripped over a wire and pulled a cord out straight?
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

It's worse with the macbook than the mba. With the mba you can never really pull it straight out due to the right angle.
QUOTE Thanks
sdsviet

sdsviet is on a distinguished road

i think that the overall design of the magsafe is flawed in general. they should have made it more squared or a circular connector because in that sense if the cord was yanked or pulled from any angle the pressure of release is still the same. im playing with my friends mbp right now and i can easily see the flaw in the magsafe connector. due to continous horizontal pull over time the connector end where the cord is attached is coming loose and u can see the braided wire starting to expose. it is easy to pop off vertical but because of the rectangular nature of the magsafe tip horizontal pressure is higher than vertical so when it is accidentally yanked out the tension on the angle of the cord is much higher and from what i see most of the time the angle that the cord is accidentally yanked or pulled from is horizontally. also another flaw i see is that the connection between the cord and the tip should have been better reinforced so it keeps the cord from being moved at an extreme angle where it is almost perpendicular to the tip. it kinda sucks for me right now because this adapter cant be replace since this mbp is the first gen one.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

No he is right. The magsafe plug for an air is shaped differently with the cable going back toward the rear of the air. Due to the orientation of the magnets and the direction of the cable if you actually tripped on the cable resulting in the exact situation the magsafe is meant to avoid it wuold yank your laptop off the table because the magsafe plug on the air will only detatch easily if pulled out to the side (90 degrees off from the actual direction of the cable)
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

It comes out easy enough for me...Have you ever used one on the air?

Anyway, i spent a year ith my old macbook, never ever using the magsafe feature and thinking 'whats the point?'- But then I tripped over it a few months ago, and it just popped straight out, and thought- 'oh, that's the point!'
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

We have two macbooks, and both of them have been saved from a skittering impact fate several times by the MagSafe connector.

As far as I can tell, the MBA connector is also going to work similarly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Insane ClamShell G3 Mod??? | when i close my mbp and re-open it, the display returns with an infinitely smal »