New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Another one of those MacBook Pro battery issue problems..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alteredEgo

alteredEgo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This just started recently. My MBP is 16 months old. The magnetic charger no longer shows a "green" or "red" light when it's plugged in, but the battery indicator icon on my desktop shows that it's charging. Sometimes if I leave it plugged in all the time and I remove the a/c adapter, the battery meter will only be at 50-60% or so. There's no light at all on the charger..although sometimes if I wiggle it I'll get the occasional green light that'll just disappear within a minute or two.

Some stats about my battery:

16 months old
310 load cycles

Downloaded CoconutBattery like some people suggested, and here are the stats:

Now what stands out immediately is that the Maximum Battery Charge exceeds the Original Battery Capacity. 5890 mAh vs. the original 5500 mAh.

I've also left it charged all day but yet it's only 61% charged.

I have drained the battery all the way multiple times, and did the SMC Reset as well. I've also deleted the Battery Update 1.3 patch, rebooted it, and updated it with the 1.2 patch, but the problem still persists.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? How do I fix this battery bug?

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
alteredEgo

no one?
QUOTE Thanks
KamileonX

KamileonX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT

What are the battery figures in the System Profiler? do they match Coconut?

KamileonX (Lawrence)
MacBook Pro 15" (Glossy) Custom
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB OCZ DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks
alteredEgo

Yeah they match exactly. Here are the stats taken just right now when the laptop has been charging ALL DAY. Look at the maximum battery charge and current battery charge.

System Profiler:

CoconutBattery:
QUOTE Thanks
alteredEgo

Is it possible to "overcharge" your MBP battery if I leave it plugged in all the time?

I try to drain it all the way every once in a while but I'm not sure if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Really rattly something - worried | Just bought my MacBook in jan. couple ques.. »