New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Problem with MBP screen coming out of sleep mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markwco

markwco is on a distinguished road

My fiancee just had an odd problem start with her MBP a couple days ago. When she closes the screen to transport her laptop and then reopens the screen it doesn't come out of sleep mode properly. I thought at first it was simply staying in sleep mode but you can hear the sounds when you press any keys so I think the computer itself is out of sleep mode but the screen stays dark. The only way we can fix it is to hold down the power button a few seconds to turn the computer off and restart it. I thought it was a one time thing but it has happened every 5 or so times she's closed her laptop the last couple times. Any idea what's causing this? She hasn't made any changes with software or hardware lately and is using the latest Leopard 10.5.2 and all patches.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try using the screen brightness key next time it occurs and let us know.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dmoon74

dmoon74 is on a distinguished road

i've just started having the exact same problem. I can hear the mbp coming out of sleep mode but the screen is dark as if it's not on at all. using the screen brightness does not solve the problem. I also have leopard and latest updates.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

do you guys have any form of iStat on there?
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 OS X.9.0 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.0.3

which version of MBP is this? ...may help narrow down the troubleshooting process...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Ok this just happened to me right now, but it has happened before. i called apple support ( the first time it happened around 4 weeks ago) and made a case file so I can call and exchange it with a brand new one since the computer is still brand new. (purchased in early part of February)

But i think that it is being caused by iStat, because when I uninstalled it it stopped, but i recently re-installed it and it is acting up again.
QUOTE Thanks
dmoon74

dmoon74 is on a distinguished road

my mbp is 2.2 C2D. I am also NOT running istat. However I am wondering if smcFan Control is causing this problem. Was on the mac last night doing some light web browsing and noticed how hot the mac was. The fans weren't kicking in and the temperature was around 77 celcius. So today whenever I open the mac from sleep mode, I would get the black screen. I've searched around and this seems to be a problem for several of us. I wonder if one of the mac updates is causing this issue....
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Well Im running smcFanControl too but I'm not having any trouble with it, just turned up my fans to 3500 rpm and now running at 38 C, and it is working.
QUOTE Thanks
frankie.horak

frankie.horak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 2GB Ram + 500GB ext.HDD

I got the exactly same thing... but it does not happen often but it is still pretty annoying.. I got MBP 2.2Ghz with leopard and I am running iStat... Then I got one a bit to the topic question: I usually switch of my laptop before I move anywhere. I just shut it only when I go between classes or room to room and my friend with MacBook was really shocked when she saw it and she says she just shuts it every time... is this safe for the hardware if it is wobbling around in a second skin in my backpack?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterpolo820 View Post
do you guys have any form of iStat on there?
Yes I do, and I am also having this problem. I guess your next suggestion is going to be to disable istat.
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

iStat had a problem but new version has it fixed, so just update it.
I had the same probs and they stopped after update.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/46/3961...m-leopard.html
Solution is on page 2.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTV1 View Post
iStat had a problem but new version has it fixed, so just update it.
I had the same probs and they stopped after update.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/46/3961...m-leopard.html
Solution is on page 2.
Thanks, I had the latest version of iStat in, but I also had iStat Menu installed, I will disable them both and see where I end up, then if the problem does not reoccur I will reinstall istat then iStat Menu
QUOTE Thanks
Hostile

Hostile is on a distinguished road

I have a 2.16GHz 15" MBP and it just started doing this last night. As far as I know I do not have iStat installed, I've never heard of it.

It also has a problem that, when the ac adapter is not connected the laptop randomly shuts down after a few minutes. This has been going on for a few months now.
QUOTE Thanks
macfan76

macfan76 is on a distinguished road

I had this happen, too, and iStat was definitely the problem. Disabled it, and the problem was fixed.

I'm a tiger.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Problem at Start | Help! Can't access my Home or my Docs »