New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - How to connect Monitor to G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slippy Design

Slippy Design is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new 22" HD monitor (HPw2207h) that can be connected several ways. I did connect it using a VGA cable and it looks great, except for DVDs which have jagged edges...The other option is to connect via a Firewire to USB cable...Does this work, and would it be an improvement over VGA?

It's an old G4 Tower...

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

You should keep all your questions in one area of the forum. As I said in another post, if you have the DVI option on the video card connect it that way. If not then upgrading the video card is the best solution. You are try to connect technology that is about 6-7 years apart. Avoid the VGA option and think DVI as it is the current standard. When the G4 retires the cables will still be useful.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The other option is to connect via a Firewire to USB cable...
I don't think that is a monitor connection, at least not one that I have ever seen. Chilbear is right, don't use the VGA connector, the DVI will give you a better picture, the edginess you see may be due to the fact that at 512 megs your Mac is starved for ram, feed it!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

As advised above increase the memory. Sawtooth machines with CPU upgrades do like at least 1-2GB memory, the higher the better to get over that 100MHz speed loss.

The video card may need replacement. Sawtooths came with a Rage 128 PRO with 16MB RAM - not enough. Look for an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Pro which is 2X AGP compatible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speaker Problem! | How do I max out the RAM on my G4 Tower? »