New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac toasted?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jb1013

500 mhz / 128MB RAM
All White (Slot Loading)
20GB / CDRW

Model M5521,

Had two Imacs plugged directly in to wall outlet. I KNOW No surge protector Bad Idea. Kicking myself now.

Anyway, booted both systems and they were running fine. Shut down, and restarted one and when it powered up it caused the other screen to flash then to short out. Now it won't boot at all. I think it fried the harddrive, as it started clicking. So I tried another harddrive, bad idea, after booting it agian it fried the second harddrive causing it to click as well. :eek:

After removing the second hard drive, I attempted to boot to OS Startup Disk. No Luck. Blank green screen for awhile and eventually ??? Mark Icon came up.

I'm wondering what all is fried, powersupply, logic board?

Definately not putting anymore harddrives in it.

I'm not a Mac person so I'm not really sure what I should do at this point?

Any help would be appreciated.

JB
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Please! It's iMac, not Imac. Thanks!

Anyways, try putting the second hard drive that you tried (and thought was fried) into another comp. See if it still works. If it doesn't work, well, then you fried both HD's.

I would also try plugging the iMac into another wall socket, to see if that's the problem.

If the harddrive got fried, and it wouldn't boot from CD even, then there's definitely someting wrong with the internal parts. I would guess either the logic board or the power management unit, but I don't know a lot about the internal iMac parts... Maybe somebody else knows more?

Anyways, good luck, sorry to hear about your sick Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3-350 --> System Failure | help!- beige G3 usb pci card »