kmatthews
    G3-350 --> System Failure
    For quite some time now (5-6 mo.) I have been coping with a system crash where everything locks up. The bkgd/desktop remains, but gets littered with black blocks and white text stating a system failure. My only option is to restart. Specs and error message follow below, any thoughts?

SPECS
    PowerPC G3 - 350 MHz
    OS 10.3.5
    320MB RAM
    6 GB HD
    250MB Zip Drive

Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0:
    blah blah blah; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC

Memory access exception (1,0,0)
    ethernet MAC Address: 00:50:e40:da:3c
    Waiting for remote debugger connection

I found a thread (RE: Major problems - G5 - pretty paperweight) and followed suggestion to repair permissions via the Disk Utility but problem occured again. I am currently running the Disk Utility a second time just to be sure.

I'm hoping someone else hassucessfully fixied something like this in the past. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

KEN

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Did the problem randomly start happening, or had you changed something shortly before it started (e.g., new RAM, added hardware, added/changed software)?
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

kmatthews
    Good point...no nothing new although I did just upgrade to OS 10.3.5 on Friday. That was when I researched on this site and found the recommendation to fix permissions. This machine has always been on the blip and I purchased 256MB RAM for it back in Feb. (chip made by Kingston Technologies).

Also, here's an update. Another crash with following message:

Backtrace:
    backtrace terminated-frame not mapped or invalid.

Are the messages themselves of any value or do they provide any troubleshooting information?

kmatthews
    I need to get moving with testing, so I think I'll buy more RAM and see if that helps. I'll check back later to see if anyone has other thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by kmatthews
    I need to get moving with testing, so I think I'll buy more RAM and see if that helps.
    Just to eliminate the possibility of another problem, try to get the RAM from a place that specializes in Macs, or at least guarantees 100% compatibility with your system. Also, I'm not sure what sort of files you have on the machine which would require backing-up, but a totally clean format and re-install of the OS couldn't hurt either.

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

kmatthews
    Yeah, I suspect the wrong RAM was purchased for this machine. Kingston Technologies is the mfr and I checked the serial no. on their site. The module corresponds to 333MHz, but my machine is a 350 MHZ. Could be the culprit...I just sent Kingston an email asking confirmation.

Thnaks for the suggestion.

Badger
    While out-of-spec or bad RAM could be the problem the 333mhz iMac uses 144 pin chips and the slot-loader iMacs use 168 pin chips. Because OS X uses virtual RAM an almost-full hard disk can cause problems that lead to crashes. Since your machine has only a 6 gb HD the system may be running out of space for virtual memory. Boosting the RAM or cleaning up the HD might help.

kmatthews
    Interesting thought Badger. I've gotten rid of a bit of unused programs and have 690MB available space. Would consider blowing away OS 9.2 but need it to view/test in legacy browsers.

I confirmed with Kingston Technologies that I seem to have the wrong RAM for the machine. They offer 256MB for $150 so I think I'll pick up module to bring it back to a total of 320MB RAM.

kmatthews
    Oh Badger, I don't have a iMac...this is a G3 PowerMac desktop model. (blue/white)

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by kmatthews
    I confirmed with Kingston Technologies that I seem to have the wrong RAM for the machine. They offer 256MB for $150 so I think I'll pick up module to bring it back to a total of 320MB RAM.
    That sounds extremely high to me. Did you check out the two sites I sent you? You can get (3) 256 MB for approximately as much as the single Kingston you mentioned, and there's a lifetime warranty.

Thread Information