New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Have to press Power button twice to turn on G4 Sawtooth!!??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgadget

Do any of you have this problem, and know how to fix it?

I'm wondering if it's the same type of problem with a bad board right behind the power button.

I want to get a new power supply to see if that is the problem. But I'm thinking it might be the power button board, or maybe the Logic Board itself. That would suck, because I'd have to throw out about $350 for a new Logic Board..

If I had to replace the Logic Board, I guess it might be cool, considering I've completly overhauled this G4, everything else inside is brand new. I've also ordered new handles, font bezel, top bezel, and side panels for it as well....total overhaul.

Thanks!!

Brett :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

What do you mean? Do you have to push it twice in quick succession, or does it sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes if you push it twice it turns on?

It does sound like a power button board, but I'm really not sure. I'll leave it to the more technical members of Mac-Forums.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
macgadget

Hello! Thank you for your reply....

Well, when I turn it on the first time, everything comes on....hard drive spins up, and fans turn on, and such...BUT I get no video (monitor remains in stand-by mode); and I get NO start up sound, you know the "dahhh" sound. So I have to press it again, and hold it in until the system powers down, and then I hit the power button again, within 2 seconds of power down, it is THEN when I get the start up sound, and the video is initialized.

It's strange. it's just a minor anoyance, about an anoyance that's getting old...... :eek:

Any help would be great..thank you!!

QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

...the computer works, right?
QUOTE Thanks
macgadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
...the computer works, right?
Hello!

Oh, yeah, it works....works great...but the double button pushing is anoying.

Thank you!!

QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Weird...

I'd almost say it was something wrong with the monitor. What kind of speakers do you have?

If the speakers are inside the monitor, it might be something wrong with the monitor. I don't know though.

Also, try searching the Apple support site, they often have answers

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I'd say its the motherboard... if there is an Apple store nearby, take it there and see what they say. Might want to run the hardware test CD.
QUOTE Thanks
macgadget

Quote:
I'd say its the motherboard... if there is an Apple store nearby, take it there and see what they say. Might want to run the hardware test CD.
Hello! Thank you....

Where is the hardware test CD? Did it come with Panther?

Or can I download a diagnostic test??

Thank you!

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The Apple Hardware Test CD is delivered with every Mac, and it's specific to that model.
Actually, I saw that problem with a G4 Sawtooth too...but as the owner wasn't bothered about it (he just puts it in sleep mode mostly), I didn't continue research about it.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Good point Avalon, actually.

Why the heck would you shut down your Mac anyways? You should always just put it in sleep mode if you're not using it, or if you're restarting to install software, you should restart. You should never completely shut down your Power Mac. No offense or anything...

Just don't shut down your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Hell, don't even put it to sleep. Just leave it on 24/7, nothing bad will happen to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Hell, don't even put it to sleep. Just leave it on 24/7, nothing bad will happen to it.
Yeah, sure...just like the lights in your house. Never turn them off, you going to turn them on again anyway...it won't harm the bulbs or switches...

...but it will heavily harm your wallet. :p

Being in sarcastic mood again, Abs?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Maybe thats why the downstairs lights always flicker and sometimes just turn off for a minute...

Damnit.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
Maybe thats why the downstairs lights always flicker and sometimes just turn off for a minute...

Damnit.
Hmm...maybe you should try to put them to sleep...they surely restart faster when you turn them on the next morning
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

nevar!1!11q11!one11!!shift+11!!1!2@#!21#

Must... get a high... AIM uptime...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want the macmini its so cute but its not pink! | Dual layer superdrive? »