New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac 32-bit or 64-bit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

I read on the internet that all C2D iMacs are 64-bit. Is there a way I can confirm that these random people on the internet are telling the truth? I just want to see a program that lets me know I have 64-bit or something like that. Does anyone know how to do this, or can confirm that my chipset is actually 64-bit?

Specs:

iMac 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
QUOTE Thanks
vpkb

vpkb is an unknown at this point

how about this? if you don't believe, i don't know what other proof there are

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

All the current gen processors today are 64 bit.
Here is the Intel page that lists their 64 bit processors.

All that is left is to have an Operating System and applications that are 64 bit. Enter Leopard, XP 64 bit, Vista 64 bit and I am sure there are some Linux OS's that fit the bill.

Applications are another story. I will say that there will likely be more apps for OS X that run as 64 bit than there are with Windows.

And this just due to the fact that MS is still primarily pushing and the PC manufacturers are still installing the 32 bit versions of the MS OS on the machines they make. Along with a lot of the hardware manufacturers still only providing 32 bit drivers.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Topic : Mac pro cinema display cuts out and can't access Mac with screen sharing | Please Help With Watching Mac Movies On Lcd Tv »