New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Pro Speakers for new Imac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdonlan

Im about to buy a new Imac this week. I wanted to know if the little apple pro speakers will work with the new Imac. I understand they come in both a speaker jack and USB.

Thanks
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The Apple Pro Speaker delivered with the Apple Cube had an USB, with an external amplifier. But as far as I know, you couldn't buy it seperately.

Those that came with the flatpanel iMac G4 are also sold seperately, but they have a special mini-jack. They are passive, means without amplifier. The only Macs that have the built-in amplifier (and therefor have that special mini-jack connector) are the iMac G4 and the PowerMac G4 (from the Digital Audio models to the MDDs).

The iMac G5 doesn't have that connector (and no integrated amplifier), so the Pro speaker won't work with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Clamshell62489

well they do have built in speakers and from what i heard, they are pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
adiliegro

they are DAMNED good, actually.
QUOTE Thanks
Mainyehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiliegro
they are DAMNED good, actually.
Yes, indeed they are... But I've bought a 20'' iMac G5 yesterday, and still haven't sold my 17'' iMac G4 w/ Pro Speakers, and I have both computers side by side (and what a lovely sight it is ). And when I compared the two, the Pro Speakers sound sooooo much better, really! But there's an accessory, a mini-jact to FireWire adapter, with which you can connect those iMac G4 Pro Speakers to any Mac (or PC, for that matter). I'll post the link here when I find it again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Small Problem After Firmware Update (G5) | Most powerful Power Supply in G4 (Sawtooth)?? »