New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Any news on iMac displays?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

I went to the apple store today and compared the 20" imacs with the 24". I saw the display problem -- the 'color gradient'-- on the 20" they had on display in the store. No problem on the 24" models on display. I asked one of the employees there about this and he said the problem had been taken care of with some kind of driver that could be dowloaded or something. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was just blowing smoke to cover the company.

Has anyone out there heard if the problem has been addressed by Apple at all? Some of my research has indicated they haven't. I think I'm going to get the 24" model anyway. Has anyone heard of any problems with the displays on that one? I find it curious they would keep the defective 20" models on display when anyone can see it for themselves.
QUOTE Thanks
Knale

Knale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic

What exactly do you mean by color gradient problem? I have the new 20" iMac, and the only thing I see is a narrow viewing angle issue. But, since I basically park myself right in front of my computer while using it, this is no issue.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I am curious as well. I just my new iMac on Friday and love it to death. I seen no problems with the display.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Some 24 inch models came with a colour gradient problem.

All the 20 inch models have a vertical brightness effect, but it's a feature of the panel, not a manufacture problem.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Oh well, its not as if you're gonna be using your display from the side all day anyway.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
Straitsfan

Straitsfan is on a distinguished road

What I meant was the problem of the color on the 20" screens 'washing out' as you get to the bottom of the display. It's most noticeable when you have a window open and you move it to the bottom of the screen -- the grey bar of at the top of the window becomes white when the window is moved towards the bottom. I've heard some things about the 24" regarding a brightness inconsistency from one side of the screen to the other.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
What I meant was the problem of the color on the 20" screens 'washing out' as you get to the bottom of the display. It's most noticeable when you have a window open and you move it to the bottom of the screen -- the grey bar of at the top of the window becomes white when the window is moved towards the bottom.
Yep, they all have that.

Not great, but you don't notice it at all after a couple of days.
QUOTE Thanks
mutahher

mutahher is on a distinguished road

do you think i should get the 24 inch imac with 2.8GHz or the macbook pro with 2.4GHz?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
All the 20 inch models have a vertical brightness effect, but it's a feature of the panel, not a manufacture problem.
My NEC LCD uses the same panel as the 20" iMac. It's just a very typical flaw with that panel. The only way it would be fixed is if Apple chooses a different panel. And it's unlikely they will until an update.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
sbomer

sbomer is on a distinguished road

Anyone know why they have the color gradient?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac dead after 9 days | Question, Inquiry, Help »