Thread: Imac Won't Boot

Matman34
    Imac Won't Boot
    I have 2 CRT imacs (1 tray & 1 slot loader) both with the same problem. Press the power button, the solid green light comes on and the POST chime sounds. The hard drive starts to spin and then after 3 seconds they switch themselves off before anything happens on the screen.
    When I try to reboot, the solid green light comes on, no POST chime and no hard drive action until I physically remove and replug the power cable. Then it starts again. I have zapped the PRAM, pressed the PMU switch, replaced the HD, replaced the PRAM battery to no avail. Also, they won't boot from a CD.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Imac Won't Boot
    Specs:
    iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Matman34
    I have 2 CRT imacs (1 tray & 1 slot loader) both with the same problem. Press the power button, the solid green light comes on and the POST chime sounds. The hard drive starts to spin and then after 3 seconds they switch themselves off before anything happens on the screen.
    When I try to reboot, the solid green light comes on, no POST chime and no hard drive action until I physically remove and replug the power cable. Then it starts again. I have zapped the PRAM, pressed the PMU switch, replaced the HD, replaced the PRAM battery to no avail. Also, they won't boot from a CD.
    I had the same problem with a PowerMac 7600, it was the power supply that went out. After I replaced it, it worked great.

Did you experience any commercial power problems before the computers started doing this? Did they both start doing this at the same time?

Matman34
    Thought it might be :mad:

They happened at different times but the power supply to the whole building is eratic at the best of times. Also, I don't have any spare iMacs to steal PSU units from.

Thanks very much for the pointer.

All the best

Matman

Thread Information