Mac Pro Quad Core to 8 Core Upgrade Decision
    Hi there,

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 3.0 ghz quad core mac (late 2006 model) to an 3.0ghz 8-core (last years' model, has 16gb RAM max and not the one currently in the mac store) Both have 10gb of previous generation RAM - 677 as opposed to 800MHz.

I use the computer as a multimedia centre for downloading content, hosting shared files for a macbook and a pc, outputting video to 42" tv and as as a hobby I produce music and video using studio and final cut pro.

I was wondering if the upgrade is really worthwhile - It will cost me about 500 - $1000.

I have heard that the 8 core is not that much better if you have enoguh RAM, and that there are some new processors coming out later 2008 / early 2009 that will have a substantial edge over the current gen 8 core (bearing this in mind when considering that the one I have been offered is not the current generation one)

I know that there is always something better out there - is it worth holding onto the money for a year or so beforwe upgrading? Will a 3.0ghz quad core loose much more value?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

James

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    The only time you will see a boost in performance is when you're video editing. If it is only a hobby, it's up to you. If you're willing to drop the extra cash, do it. If I was in your position, I'd stay with what you got.
    Macs hold their resale value well. I would say the Pro holds its value more than most.
    As for the next processor... The Penryn came out a month ago, which is why the Pro was updated. A lot of people expected a 50% speed jump with the Penryn. I can't speculate.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Thanks for the reply

What you are saying is that outside of final cut pro it won't make a difference? - Will 8 cores not allow me to mutitask more efficiently or have logic work more smoothly?

Most tests that we see publish do nont tend to have decent RAM setups - does having 10 gbs RAM help aleviate any of the bandwidth issues that have been refered to with the 8 cores?

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Sorry, I should have the most noticeable difference will be seen in Final Cut. Not all apps can make use of all 8 cores. I don't know what Logic is to say if you'll see a benefit.
    Bandwidth issues? I don't know any issues. Explain....
    When you work, do you come close to running out of RAM?

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    My opinion. If you want to have that very small edge on the current model you have then spend the money. To be honest I would hold onto the money. Can I reccomend buying more ram or hard disk space instead of upgrading to the next model.

just my little say

cheers
    chris

Thread Information