New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - How many external hard drives can you have connected?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

burnt1ce85

burnt1ce85 is on a distinguished road

With the intent of making a really huge file server; suppose I have an unlimited supply of external USB hubs (w/ their own power source). How many external hard drives can i connect to a mac mini?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

What if...
I had to guess, I'd say unlimited amount if you could plug a powered hub into another powered up.

I am curious, why a mini as a file server?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Gaz

Gaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz

with the single firewire port on the back of the mac mini, you can connect up to 63 devices.

i wouldn't use USB.

24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

Well since I will be upgrading to an iMac in a few weeks I have found a most useful purpose for my windoze pc. It will become a file server across my home network. I'm going to stuff a couple of 500gb internal drives in it and then share them. I will most likely partition one of them in half and try reformating it for mac. The rest of the space will be formatted fat32. Windoze should be able to handle that.
QUOTE Thanks
burnt1ce85

burnt1ce85 is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of using a mini because it's very compact and nice looking. Also, i think it consumes relatively a lot less electricity than other computers. I could use a windows machine but they tend to come in larger form factors.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There are some external drives out there that let you daisy chain a bunch of them together via Firewire. So you could look into this as a way to save yourself the trouble of getting multiple USB hubs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
stukdog

stukdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt1ce85 View Post
With the intent of making a really huge file server; suppose I have an unlimited supply of external USB hubs (w/ their own power source). How many external hard drives can i connect to a mac mini?
Did you ever do some real world testing on this? I'd be interested in the results. We have a customer who wants as much HD space as possible connected to their mini so we're trying to find the best way to do that for him.

Macminicolo.net - Your Mac mini in a data center. The perfect low cost server.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
Well since I will be upgrading to an iMac in a few weeks I have found a most useful purpose for my windoze pc. It will become a file server across my home network. I'm going to stuff a couple of 500gb internal drives in it and then share them. I will most likely partition one of them in half and try reformating it for mac. The rest of the space will be formatted fat32. Windoze should be able to handle that.
If you are using any Windows OS for that file server, format all the drives as NTFS, so that it will be more efficient and secure. Connecting to it via SMB or CIFS from your mac will not require that you use any OS-X specific file systems on the server. This will save you time and hassle, as well - you won't have to continually explain to others in the house "if you're on the mac, you have to save in THIS folder."

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mini with 10.5 Server | graphics card for PowerMac6,1? »