New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JButts

JButts is on a distinguished road

I'm currently looking to buy a Mac Pro(and by looking to buy I mean I have added it to my online cart and am drooling over clicking the purchase button ), but I just had some quick questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

A) I'm going with the nVidia 8800 GT graphics card, but I need another for a third display. Where can I get one that is made for a Mac, and what kind would I need--I'd like to stay relatively cheap but this is going to an LCD tv so it needs to offer good quality.

B) I'm planning to upgrade the RAM, hard drive, and possibly add a second superdrive, but I'd prefer not to pay the prices listed for the upgrades at the Apple store. I'm just not sure what kind of hard drive I can put inside it, nor am I sure what kind of RAM it would need... basically I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right pieces off the bat rather than any sort of trial and error.

C) The new metal keyboard... is there a wireless option for this thing that isn't the miniature sized one? It looks sleek, but I'd really like to have a wireless desktop.

Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

1. The Apple store. Online retailers that sell Mac video cards are very hard to come by. Seeing the Apple store has a 3 week backorder, it'd think it's safe to say the 8800GT is going to be very hard to come by anywhere else. If the card is only for a TV, I would suggest the 2600 XT. The 7300 GT supports my TV nicely.
2. Any SATA2 HD will work. Any buffered ECC PC6400 RAM with the oversized heat spreader will work.
3. There only two versions of the new Apple keyboard, one wired and one wireless. I don't like the wireless keyboard because it's missing the number pad. I have a Windows wireless keyboard. All the buttons function properly except the Windows button.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I am in class now so I can't answer all the questions, but I do see bryphotoguy is looking at this thread too so I will assume that he will answer all the technical questions..

I just wanted to let you know that ordering the 8800GT GREATLY delays the time it takes for the computer to arrive.

The hard drives are SATA, but I can't be sure about the ram, and like I said i'm in class so I can't look it up.. I'll post that info later.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

hehe, PBG4, you knows me. Typing on my phone is slo.

QUOTE Thanks
JButts

JButts is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help so far. Any good places to look online to find mac stuff? I also forgot to mention it before but I need a TV tuner as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I like OWC for Mac specific products. Otherwise, I will spend an hour or so on google looking for something specific or to search for better prices.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which iMac to buy? | G4 not starting up »