New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Metal Keyboard Static Shock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hagerstown40

hagerstown40 is on a distinguished road

We have two 24Imac's that we are presently running. Several times throughout the day we get shocked when touching the metal keyboard. I purchased a antistatic chairmat - but the shocks continue. Has anyone experienced the same and found a solution?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
redVnum

redVnum is on a distinguished road

that just happened to me yesterday... it kind of scared me..

Maybe you could get one of those clear plastic chair mats to roll your chair on?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Wow! What a strange problem you both have!

I keep getting electric shocks in the apartment, stepping out of cars, etc. all the time (and man, do I ever HATE it!!!) but so far so good with the wired Alu keyboard. Although we do have hardwood floors, no carpet.

Do you use the wireless or wired model?

Are your floors covered in carpet? That would indeed increase electrical build-up...
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I've been noticing that problem too. I have a plastic chairmat but it doesn't make a different.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Laws of physics. Other than getting a plastic keyboard (or maybe a humidifer) then there's not much you can do.
QUOTE Thanks
redVnum

redVnum is on a distinguished road

you could always spray some static guard on your keyboard!

JK! hahah
QUOTE Thanks
hagerstown40

hagerstown40 is on a distinguished road

I bought a anti static chairmat - did not do much. I really like the aluminum keyboard - aside from the shock factor.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

I use the aluminum keyboard every day at work and I've never been shocked.

Have you tried picking up your feet when you walk? That's what always gets me.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
texastame

texastame is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Yes me and several co-workers and friends I know have the same problem on the metal keyboard, I switched to a plastic G3 Mac Keyboard but the metal case of the CPU still shocks me if I get to close to it, this seems to be a common problem.
QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

I have the aluminum keyboard and never got a shock. Maybe the difference is that I don't wear shoes in the house so with just my socks on with a carpeted floor you can't get shocks. Try removing your shoes on the carpet where the computer sits.

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
NewbieMacUser

NewbieMacUser is on a distinguished road

We bought a couple of Macs last year and have been experiencing 'static' shocks from the iMac's metal keyboard. It is more of a continuous shock though, as if it needs to be earthed. The same applies to the actual CPU/screen's metal surround. This, when touched, vibrates electrically, again as if there is a problem with the earthing wires. We have been using one of those keyboard "zCovers" purchased from the Apple store which helps me but the kids just toss this aside as typing is such a drag with it on.
My MacBook Pro also has that electrical vibration to its metal casing!

We have ceramic tiled flooring, no rugs or carpets and always walk barefoot - we're still 'shocked'.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spaces keeps crashing my Mac Pro | Not sure which Mac to get for FCP/Avid... Input much appreciated »