Getting A Used G3
    A local Mac shop has used Macs like you wouldn't belive so I want to get a G3. I already talk to the store manager, and he can build a used G3 any way I want. Since I already have a hdd, cdrom, and ram he gave these prices for a striped down G3.

G3 Desktop Revision B300/266mhz-$60

G3 MiniTower Revision B 300/266mhz-$76

G3 B&W 400/450mhz-$150

Are these good prices? I wanted to get something for OS X just to play around with it to see how it is, right now I run a M$ free pc w/ Slackware Linux 10.0. So wich one would be best for me?

I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    If you just want to play with OS X, get a G4. Mac OS X does not like the G3.

G4 are too exepensive just for a test of OS X besides I'm poor I couldn't get a G4 even if I wanted to. Also I've been playing w/ OS X 10.2.4 useing PearPC and my older brothers iBook wich is only 300mhz and 128mb.

If you can get a B&W G3 450mhz for $150 thats a damn good deal. Drop a good amount of RAM in there and it will handle OS X fine.

Luxemburg, Europe
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Go with the B&W, it's a good deal and the only choice for using OS X, as it is natively supported. Using OS X on one of the other G3s isn't impossible, but needs some tweaking nevertheless...
    Be sure to put in as much RAM as you can. 512MB is an ammount where OS X starts feeling comfortable

Perhaps you might also want to consider rainbow iMacs. The earlier 233MHz iMac can be had as little as $100, and it includes a monitor. 400MHz is around $200. It's a better deal than B&W G3 PowerMac if you don't plan on spending money to upgrade.

If you are considering B&W G3, I'd encourage you to step up to G4 Sawtooth. The cost difference would be maybe $50 or so, but Sawtooth will be much more usable and upgradable.

Thread Information