New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Can I add an ATI card to a Nvideo card Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RickR

RickR has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have the Jan 8th Mac Pro and purchased it with the NVidea Geforce 8800 GT and want to add a 2nd graphics card. Will I have to add the same graphics card or can I add an ATI Radeon HD 2600? Will the two work okay in the same system using separate monitors?
What is suggested as a good 20 ft. DVI extension cable? This is the approximate length I need.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

they will work as long as it is the MAC varient and not windows (you can just buy any video card off the shelf),they "should" work fine together, to save possible driver issues usually good to just buy the same card.

any reason you want the 2600 ?
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

Okay, I was hoping it's not a problem. I was looking at the 2600 mainly to save money for the additional monitors and they won't be used as frequently.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Okay, I was hoping it's not a problem. I was looking at the 2600 mainly to save money for the additional monitors and they won't be used as frequently.
maybe its just me but... it seems like RickR is your other user name
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

makes sense then.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Does the installed video card have 2 DVI outputs? If true then you will not need a second card. Try it before you buy.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

good point the 8800 series all have dual DVI outputs, pretty much all cards have dual DVI these days and the 8800 is "dual link" so it can run the 1920 + resolutions
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« thermal paste for digital audio | Whats wrong with this mac? »