Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Slammin_SoSo
    Whats Better Intel PC or a macintosh Imac..etc
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone help me here? What is the difference between a G5 1.6 ghz computer and a Pentium 4 2.80ghz or more?

Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? :cool:

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    This thread will erupt into a flame war in about six seconds.

The best answer I can give you is, "it depends." For some things, a G5/1.6 will be faster. For other things, a P4/2.8 will be faster.

As for which is "better"...you're on a Mac forum. So of course the Mac is better.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    The Mac platform has the advantage of a complete and reliable OS. PC can only close on the concept in Linux. That is all.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Oh no, please! Not another stupid flame thread like that!

There is no general answer, and never will be...
    It all depends much of yourself, what you want to do with your computer, and what's important for you in a computer...

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    Not to start a flame war(Please Mods don't let this happen) but:

The Pentium 4 is an incredibly un-efficient processor due to its 20 stage pipeline.

PinkPhishDoors
    These stupid threads are pointless, there WILL NEVER BE AN ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    While there may never be a concrete answer beyond subjective opinion on this topic, I'd hardly call it stupid. Many people new to the Mac platform wonder these things because for years the "megahertz myth" has been beat into their heads by Intel and AMD.

Uninformed maybe, stupid, definitely not. That's partially why this board exists is to inform people.

If a thread shouldn't be started because there's not an objective answer, I can think of several political threads that are much more stupid than this one
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

PinkPhishDoors
    Yeah but to make a post like "Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? " that IS stupid, there is no answer... It isn't even a real question.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Actually, there is one answer that comes to my mind:
    For all windows user, just simply try the Mac (at a shop or ask somebody who has one). After that, there are 3 possibilities:
    1. You'll love it so much that you switch and never want to hear about Windows
    2. You'll love it, but still want to keep your PC aside your (new ) Mac, to benefit from both platforms advantages
    3. You just simply hate it and stick with the PC

Nr 2 is the way I've gone, and it works perfectly for me...but that's subjective.

@schweb:
    I guess you're right about the "stupid thread" thing...sorry for that.
    I guess I just read too much of those flames that started after similar questions. Because this always brings back those Mac users bashing PCs and vice versa...and THAT just simply IS stupid...

Slammin_SoSo
    It was just a question to ask. Im a windows user as we speak and find it unreliable and im not satisfied. Anyhow if your freaking out because of the question being ask, then don't answer it loser. Back to the topic. I want to try out a macintosh but was asking what is the difference between the ram and gigz they use then from what intel uses...that was all "i" wrote.. :mad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Actually, there is one answer that comes to my mind:
    For all windows user, just simply try the Mac (at a shop or ask somebody who has one). After that, there are 3 possibilities:
    1. You'll love it so much that you switch and never want to hear about Windows
    2. You'll love it, but still want to keep your PC aside your (new ) Mac, to benefit from both platforms advantages
    3. You just simply hate it and stick with the PC

Nr 2 is the way I've gone, and it works perfectly for me...but that's subjective.

@schweb:
    I guess you're right about the "stupid thread" thing...sorry for that.
    I guess I just read too much of those flames that started after similar questions. Because this always brings back those Mac users bashing PCs and vice versa...and THAT just simply IS stupid...

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPhishDoors
    Yeah but to make a post like "Whats is better a Intel PC or a macintosh imac? " that IS stupid, there is no answer... It isn't even a real question.
    No question asked here is stupid if it pertains to the point of this board which is to answer Mac questions and share experiences.

If those bother you, your choices are to ignore them or leave the board. But please don't insult the members or people's questions. They deserve the same respect you would like.

Slammin_SoSo
    But yet they can insult me?
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb
    No question asked here is stupid if it pertains to the point of this board which is to answer Mac questions and share experiences.

If those bother you, your choices are to ignore them or leave the board. But please don't insult the members or people's questions. They deserve the same respect you would like.

Nightblade
    A 1.6 GHz computer is a single processor, and almost certainly couldn't stand up to a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 processor. If this was a dual processor G5, then it'd be a match, but the P4 might still beat it (although the G5 would still be very, very fast, and may even beat the P4, depending on how much MHz it has). But obviously, an X86 processor can't run a Mac OS, so if you want to do that you'll have to have a PowerPC processor. There's just no other way.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammin_SoSo
    But yet they can insult me?
    I fail to see how my replies don't seem to specify that.

Thread Information