New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Troubles with Free Mac Mini intel version

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DWhitbeck

DWhitbeck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I have a few macs

Hey all,

I just have a quick question/problem I hope I can get some help with.
My son just got given a Mac mini the Intel based one 1.5 version from his school lab teacher. They are getting all new equipment so they are giving things away which is very cool. However I want to wipe the drive clean and start fresh for him I do not have the restore cds for the Mac mini I have the OS X 10.3 cds for my ibooks. I would be willing to buy leopard if I know i will be able to format the drive and install it. I know its usually hold in the c key and it will start the process (I have done this on my other Macs) I tried this with the osx 10.3 cds and it does not work. The problem is that I am using a pc keyboard because I have it setup with a KVM switch to switch between my pc and the mini right now and I do not have a Mac keyboard because the ones I own are laptops. Also when the Mac mini powers up it asks for a username and password which my son does not have and the school will not give me because I guess it has to do with their network security or something.

What can I do. Any help would be great.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Leopard will let you format and install. The discs from your iBook are specific to that model. The Mini can't boot from them which is why you're having trouble.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
DWhitbeck

Well the thing is i bought these disks from allmac.com for my ibooks and they worked so why wouldnt they work for the the mini. Or atleast start the process and say already registered to another computer. the problem lies in the fact that it doesnt even start the process. If i had leopard right now put it in and held down the c key im guessing it wouldnt work i think it has to do with the username and password. tell me if im wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhitbeck View Post
Well the thing is i bought these disks from allmac.com for my ibooks and they worked so why wouldnt they work for the the mini.
A few reasons.

One, install discs are machine specific. An iBook disc works in an iBook. A Mini disc works in a Mini. You can't use them on a machine they weren't intended for.

Two, the iBook is a PPC Mac. The Mini you have is an Intel Mac.
Intel Macs use a modified version of OS X. A PPC version of OS X like the one on your iBook would never work on an Intel Mac.

Three, it is against the EULA to use a machine's restore/install discs on any other machine, no matter what version of the OS it contains.

Now, the retail version of Leopard is Universal and would work on both PPC and Intel Macs. It is not machine specific either, so it would work on any model.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
DWhitbeck

OK thank you for clearing that up. I will purchase my copy and get it up and running thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Since it's a 1.5Ghz Intel it must be the Intel Core Solo CPU. Just to be sure, does it have 4 USB ports in the back?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You need the retail version which is a black DVD. The gray coloured discs you have are the model specific ones which restore the machine to its as purchased set up.
QUOTE Thanks
DWhitbeck

It worked out ok. leopard installed perfectly and is running awesome
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uploading older cds into itunes | Memory for new Imac »