iMac and dual monitor
    ok, well i got the mini-dv to dvi-d cable when i bought my mac, plugged it into my 19" viewsonic, and it worked great... for 30 minutes. Whenever i let the computer sleep and go to refresh it, only the iMacs monitor wakes up, my viewsonic kinda just sits there with the power light flashing, i know its getting signal because as soon as i unplug the dvi cable, the no signal warning flashes, i plug it back in it goes away. The only way to get that monitor to show the picture again is a series of unplugs, power downs and computer restarts. Sometimes it works after the first time, sometimes i need to do it 10 times. Let me tell you that gets old real fast. any ideas, but im about ready to just toss it. i dont have the money to buy a new monitor and i need the dual monitor set up, ive had it for to long to where i couldn't get rid of it. Thanks.

Specs:
    MacBook
    You could just try the "Detect Displays" option from your System Preferences under 'Display'.
    I keep mine in the Menu Bar so it is available from a drop-down.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
    Is the second monitor a CRT? Mine is a flatpanel and does not do that. If you have a flat panel handy try this first. Have your tried turning off the second monitor and then back on (my guess is yes)?

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    You could just try the "Detect Displays" option from your System Preferences under 'Display'.
    I keep mine in the Menu Bar so it is available from a drop-down.
    never thought of that, ill try it next time it happens. thanks you

Quote Originally Posted by Chilbear
    Is the second monitor a CRT? Mine is a flatpanel and does not do that. If you have a flat panel handy try this first. Have your tried turning off the second monitor and then back on (my guess is yes)?
    nope, its a flat panel, Viewsonic VX922, one of the higher end displays out when i bought it. turning it off does nothing, as soon as its turned back on the power light goes back to flashing.

still being a PITA. it detects the display, right away, but the power light still flashes and the screen is blank. im getting very aggravated. i cant figure this out.

EDIT: If the monitor has power and the DVI cable isnt connected, the power light stays solid, and obviously no picture shows up. The second I connect the DVI cable, the iMac recognizes it, but no image is displayed on the monitor and the power light begins to flash. I have restarted and everything, im at a loss.

anyone?

Thread Information