Thread: G4 won't sleep

G4 won't sleep

G4 won't sleep
    I have a 2002 G4 running OS 10.4. Recently when I start up my machine I have been receiving an error message stating that my clock is set to a date before March 21st 2004. In the past when this has happened to me I would zap the PRAM and or replace the battery. I have tried both of these options as well as taking the battery out and letting the computer sit for 10-15 minutes. (I guess that is supposed to reset the logic board.) Each of these "fixes" appear to correct the problem. Then 1 or 2 days later I will get the error message again.

I had not ben letting it bother me because other than this message the computer seemed to be working properly. But now my computer will not go to sleep, or restart and frequently refuses to shut down with the apple menu.

Any thoughts?

G4 won't sleep

Hi. I heard of a similar problem...... the sleeping....not waking.... it was caused by a USB2 Card that had been installed. I don't know why it did this just that it did. Have you installed anything recently..... pre problems starting? If you have try taking it out and seeing if the problem is corrected.

I don't think a clean uninstal of all you software will make any difference as it sounds like a hardware prob, alternatively did you instal anything pre problem arising. Sometimes looking back at what has changed can prompt a repair.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Sorry I can't be of more use.

Reaperman

G4 won't sleep
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    losing the date is most likely a battery issue, especially if you have never had to replace it on an old G4

they are cheap so do that first

G4 won't sleep

Thanks everyone but I have a bit of a drama with the machine last week. It stopped starting up all together. I took it to the local Mac Dr and they said it was most likely a bad power supply or the mother board. This, of course, happened at the start of a busy work week so rather than mess with it I upgraded to a new imac.

Hard to believe that an imac would be an upgrade from my G4 but I guess they've come along way in 5 years

So far I'm pretty impressed with the new imac! Bad things happen but we'll make good of it!

G4 won't sleep
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    If it was a MDD G4 they have a noted problem of doing just what yoju described with a faulty internal battery. If you are interested do a Google search for MDD G4 battery replacement problems. Here is one link:-

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6097489

Thread Information