New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

HELP!! burning mac???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tha1bas1ard

hi all, i have a flat screen (pre widescreen) imac about 2 yrs old, and one day i was showing a mate some tunes on it when it suddenly cut out. at first i thought it was the screen going to save power mode but when i smelt some burning i started to panic and quickly went to the plugs and disconnected. i hadnt used my mac in a while and i was quite suprised it just cut out on me. now it wont work at all, and if i try and plug it in it starts to make the burning smell again even with out pressing the mac power button on. have you guys any idea what is wrong?? do you think its the power supply unit, or the processor?? i want to get an idea of what s wrong so i can go and take it to my local apple shop. any help would be very much appreciated! cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

DON'T TOUCH IT, UNPLUG IT AND TAKE IT TO A PRO. DON'T TAKE IT APART!. If you have an applecare plan than you should be covered if not, than you will have to pay, but if you smell burning don't do anything yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

I dunno - maybe you should try to fix it yourself.
*NOTE* I have not since given good advice.
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkhy
DON'T TOUCH IT, UNPLUG IT AND TAKE IT TO A PRO. DON'T TAKE IT APART!. If you have an applecare plan than you should be covered if not, than you will have to pay, but if you smell burning don't do anything yourself.
Come on anarkhy where is the fun in that? It sounds like a dead power supply, not to much of a problem... If you've never taken one apart or dealt with that I suggest taking it to a Pro, but if you do have experience i'd suggest a new power supply

(Vuschejan is in no way responsible for your actions)
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I agree with vuschejan, if you have no idea what you're doing with electronics, take it to a pro.

But if you're not too afraid and skilled, you can check it yourself.
Here's a complete guide on how to change the powersupply on a flatscreen 15" iMac:
http://www.bitsandpieces.info/

(I am, in no terms, responsible of what other people do with their PCs!)
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Maybe your iMac is alive! There are a lot of reports saying their 2nd gen iMacs are going crazy now that the new iMac G5s are out...

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for your towns missing toys on Christmas. Really. He had nothing to do with it.]

Yeah I'm bored.
QUOTE Thanks
tha1bas1ard

i thought it would be a power supply, altho im not gonna take it apart myself... im just gonna take it in and ask for a new psu to be put in to cut down on labour fees. are you guys sure its the psu thats gone? thx in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Just take it to the Apple Store, they'll find the problem...

Maybe...
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

I STRONGLY suggest not touching it, my friend almost got killed replacing a power supply that zapped him, he also got zapped trying to fix my guitar amp(long story, ask me about it sometime). But getting back to my point. Power supplies don't release all of there energy after have the power cut, they store it. My friend was only unscrewing it when it zapped him.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkhy
I STRONGLY suggest not touching it, my friend almost got killed replacing a power supply that zapped him, he also got zapped trying to fix my guitar amp(long story, ask me about it sometime). But getting back to my point. Power supplies don't release all of there energy after have the power cut, they store it. My friend was only unscrewing it when it zapped him.
<morbid>We are going to die anyway.</morbid>

If he *does* know about this, if he *does* know the risks, and if he does this on PCs, he shouldn't have a problem.

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for anyone who follows this advice.]
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
<morbid>We are going to die anyway.</morbid>

If he *does* know about this, if he *does* know the risks, and if he does this on PCs, he shouldn't have a problem.

[Absolute Zero is not responsible for anyone who follows this advice.]
I am invincible!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« And here it is! | Blue and White 450G3 freezing »