New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Us Mini in UK?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rieg77

rieg77 is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I'm just about to take the plunge and probably get a Mac Mini and I'm wondering if I can buy a US Mac Mini for use predominantly in the UK.

The things I'm concerned with are whether I'll need a special power converter (and where i can get it from), as well as OS X locations which will impact keyboard layout, dvd playback etc.

Can anyone let me know if I'll be ok and/or what I might need to buy or change to make it workable.

Please excuse any stupid questions I may have asked, I'm new to the Mac world and am looking for advice from those with experience.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Gaz

Gaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz

I've bought a mini from america and use it in the uk..

all you need is a socket converter, so you can plug the american 2pin plug in a uk 3pin socket (they cost a few quid)

Apple use one keyboard layout. the UK and american keyboards are the same.

when you first insert a DVD you have to choose a region, and it can be changed up to 5 times.

24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB
QUOTE Thanks
hempcamp

hempcamp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger

Wow, yeah, at the current exchange rate the US Mini will save you 100 quid. Yikes. That's the difference between a 1.83 and a 2.0 right there.
--Chris

Current: 20" iMac 2.4/4/320/Leopard / Dell 2407WFP / Leopard
Portable: 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger / iPhone 3G White 16GB
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iMac G4 800 / iBook G3 700 / PowerMac 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5G iPod 30GB
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Purchasing items with the Euro plug for use here in Australia it is simply a matter of purchasing a $5 lead locally as they all seem to be 100-240 volt universal powered systems.

In fact for an external HDD an electric jug cord did the job!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

just that your Mini will be left hand drive

Only joking, I have bought twice from the Sates and had no problems
QUOTE Thanks
kao

kao is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB

Did you buy them from the US Apple site? I didn't think you could ship outside of US from there.

Just wondering as I'm going to be getting a mini soon and it wouldn't hurt to get the better model for the price of the lower model =p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Place to Purchase Mac Pro-Buying Questions | Processor power and ram »