New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G5 memory upgrade,please need advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

forex@mac.com

forex@mac.com is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod

Hi there,
I decided to upgrade my iMac G5 memory. Currently have 512 MB,I have been under the impression that these machines have only one slot,but found out that there are two slots,in hardware profile,under Memory section I have DIMM0/BUILT-IN and DIMM1/J6700,so does this mean that the machine has two memory slots?
Could anybody confirm this?This is a 2.1 Ghz PowerPC G5.
Also,could someone tell me exactly what kind of ram stick will work for this machine,I don't want to buy and end up not using the sticks.I have found couple of them,but I am not sure if they will work.
thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You seem to have the same iMac I do. There is only one slot that can be user upgradable. The other one, which has factory installed RAM (the 512MB module you see) is soldered to the motherboard.

I got my iMac's RAM up to 2.5 GB and I bought my RAM at OWC. I have bought from them in the past, recommended them to friends very recently and bought from them again. Very efficient, friendly if you need to ask them questions. Their RAM has a lifetime warranty. Prices are good as well.
QUOTE Thanks
forex@mac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
You seem to have the same iMac I do. There is only one slot that can be user upgradable. The other one, which has factory installed RAM (the 512MB module you see) is soldered to the motherboard.

I got my iMac's RAM up to 2.5 GB and I bought my RAM at OWC. I have bought from them in the past, recommended them to friends very recently and bought from them again. Very efficient, friendly if you need to ask them questions. Their RAM has a lifetime warranty. Prices are good as well.
Yes,I was looking at OWC as well,found some memory sticks.Did you buy 2 1Gb sticks?What brand did you buy?Did the performance change after you upgraded the machine?Mine seems kind of sluggish,it wasn't like this when I first bought it,now it's very very slow,I don't know what happened,I had wanted to upgrade the memory anyways,I guess it's about time.
here is the list: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

which one did you get?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

No I did not. Like I said, you can only mess with one of the memory slots, the other factory-installed module is soldered to the motherboard so you cannot pull it out. I bought the 2GB module PC4200 DDR2 533MHz 240 Pin DIMM Module.

You didn't select the right list (on your list you linked me to, I get choices for Power Mac G5s in the list). Make sure you select the iMac 2.1GHz (on the right) as a choice for the right RAM modules selection.
QUOTE Thanks
forex@mac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
No I did not. Like I said, you can only mess with one of the memory slots, the other factory-installed module is soldered to the motherboard so you cannot pull it out. I bought one 2GB module.
OK,thanks.So max. upgrade we can perform on this machine is 2.5Gb then?
Will this stick go for my machine,please check it out:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../4200DDR2M2GB/

thanks for advices.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes that is the one I got.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« UPS for Imac | Broadcast to FM from IMac (how to) »